Create different types of issues by incoming mail on JIRA service desk cloud service

Jens Niedrich November 13, 2017

I was looking in JIRA documentation and forums but couldn't find an answer to my question:

Is it possible in JIRA Service Desk cloud service to create different issues (incidents, service requests, problems) by using incoming mails as a trigger? I know that I can set a default issue type but we get requests, incidents and problems by mail and they shouldn't be created all the same but based on information inside mail body or mail subject the mail either needs to trigger creation of an incident, a service request or a problem.

2 answers

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2019

Hi,

I took a look at Automation for Jira App.  You do have the ability to edit the issue type so you might want to trial that App.

Hope that helps

Susan

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

Hi Jens,

Using the automation you can change the "request type" of the issue based on keywords in the subject/description. 

Use Trigger - Issue Created

Action - Edit Request Type

Not quite the "issue type" but at least a different request type

Cheers

Susan

Jens Niedrich November 13, 2017

Hi Susan,

thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately it is not the solution I'm looking for as different request types still use the same request issue workflow.

Problems and Incidents do have different workflows in our project that's why your proposal does not work for us.

Best Regards,

Jens

Christopher Thorpe August 15, 2019

Hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_  and @Jens Niedrich , did either of you ever find a solution to this problem? I currently have the same issue Jen had where I want issues created through email to be different issue types.

Is there any workaround or plugin that can get this to work?

Thanks for any help you get give me.

Jens Niedrich August 21, 2019

Hi @Christopher Thorpe ,

sorry but no solution from my side. I couldn't find a plug in as well that deals with it yet. But I have to admit, that I wasn't spending too much time on looking for a solution in the recent months.

If you find something - please share with me as well ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Suggest an answer