Create a test cycle based on story or bug issue filter

darcfinn October 7, 2014

I have been looking for information online about our use case, and I am surprised that I can't find others with this challenge. 

We have stories, bugs and test (Zephyr) issue types in our JIRA instance. Tests are linked to stories and bugs through a link type called "Is testing/Is tested by". We are using Peer Test Cycles during iterations/sprints, and when the release is closing in we run several test cycles in the hardening period. These test cycles may have different scope, meaning that there will be a different set of issues being tested for each of them. 

We need to be able to simplify the test cycle configuration, assigning the correct tests to the correct test cycle. From an end user perspective, the best way to do this would be to search for stories/bugs that are in the scope of the coming test cycle, and based on the filter result (remember; still looking at stories and bugs, not tests) I can create a test cycle with all the tests connected to the listed stories/bugs.

Is this wishful thinking, or are we using the plugin all wrong? How does other customers use the test issues in relation to the stories and bugs?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Swapna Kumar Vemula [Zephyr]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2014

Hello Dagfinn,

To make sure that we are on the same page I would like to confirm that your are looking for a feature to add Stories/bugs to the Test Cycle? As per the functionality of Zephyr for JIRA the Test Cycles will accommodate only the issues of type TEST so as to cumulate the testcases to be executed that are planned by cycle. Adding Stories/bugs to the test cycles is not possible within Zephyr for JIRA. 

As per your query => "Search for stories/bugs that are in the scope of the coming test cycle, and based on the filter result (remember; still looking at stories and bugs, not tests) can create a test cycle with all the tests connected to the listed stories/bugs and can create a test cycle with all the tests connected to the listed stories/bugs". This can be achieved not directly but If you can organize stories/bugs in such a way that you can find out the Testcases as links, then you can search for them to associate with TestCycles as required manually. 

Story_links_with_Test.png

Note : To get IssueFunction hasLinks() in JQL "Script Runner" plugin is installed.

Kind Regards,

Swapna Kumar Vemula.

darcfinn October 20, 2014

Hi, and thanks for your reponse. We have started using a plugin called "Craftware Search Linked Issues for JIRA". With this we can do the following: - set up a search filter that picks out the stories and bugs we want to test in our next test cycle - use the plugin-function "linkedIssuesFromFilter" with parameters FilterName and LinkType - FilterName is the name of the filter that returns the bugs and stories we want to test - LinkType is the custom link "Testing" (is testing/is tested by) The returned search result gives us the tests that will be apllicable in the certain context, and we can use it to create the new test cycle. Thank God for plugins..!

Suggest an answer