Create a side track in JIRA

Blommetje August 5, 2013

Hi,

In JIRA I have a custom flow to track the status of a product. Products need to published on a site and this goes through different stages.

However, there is a side step in the process, sort a second site.

In my current flow, if this step is not done (not published on the secondary site) you can't move forward. I want this step to be a sort of side path so that you can move forward with the product, but that he secondary site is not done yet.

A bit difficult to explain, but hopefully you understand!

thnx!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

Hi Blommetje

After reading your comment on Timothy's post I think you need something else than my previous answer.
You could just create 2 sub-tasks (one for team a and one for team b) that have their own small workflow, you will still have the connection to the parent task and both teams can work independently. You might enforce something like (Parent issue has to be in status 'ready for upload') before they can start working on the sub tasks.

Best regards,

Peter

Blommetje August 5, 2013

Yes, basiclly that's what I want but here is the flow complete.

: ()

So site A is a dead end in the process, and Site B needs to follow the workflow.

I don't know anything about subtasks, so that's new for me. I'll look into it.

I bought a Jira book and read a lot in the kB but still, the whole screen, screen scheme and workflows is quite overwhelming!

Blommetje August 26, 2013

This is the way I fix the issue. All subtasks have a different flow.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

I think sub tasks should be able to help you out (in combination with different workflows)

Jira can indeed be quit overwhelming so if you need help, just let us know (Dutch is also a option if needed ;) )

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2013

Hi Blommetje,

Is it something like this that you need?

You can go from status 2 (S2) to either S3-a (published on secondary site) or S3-b(not published on secondary site) and then you can move on to S4

because that could be easily implemented in Jira workflows.

Just trying to understand the question better.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2013

How can one instance of an issue have two workflows? That does not sound right. You don't want the issue to move from it's status and yet you want the issue to move from it's status.

In my current flow, if this step is not done (not published on the secondary site) you can't move forward

You need either a workflow condition or a validator to check on this.

Blommetje August 5, 2013

Hi, thnx. Well, it's not 2 workflows really, but a fork in the workflow. So if a issue hits status 'Ready for upload' it must be uploaded on two websites. However, fixing site A may not be the reason to wait on site B.

We have two teams, one fixing site A and one fixing site B. So as soon as the issue become 'ready for upload' I want both teams to work on it. And if team A is not there, team B should still move forward. I don't want team B to wait for team A.

Any clues on this?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

If you want to create a fork in the workflow, that is still possible. In the status where you want to fork, you will create two transitions. Each transition will have a condition that will only open up the fork if the condition is met.

Suggest an answer