Create a project role and only jira-system-admin can update it

Manikandan K April 5, 2018

My requirement is to create role and only jira-system-admin should be able to update the role  and not the project administer.

Is there a way to handle this in Jira ?

Note: We have 4 roles and we need to apply this condition only to one role 

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

Hi Manikandan,

what do you mean by "updating the role". Changing the role memberships in projects? That's not how they are supposed to work intended by Atlassian, it's the opposite and would make them somewhat similar to groups.

Best, Max

Manikandan K April 5, 2018

I mean to add/delete user from the project role.

My requirement is PO for the projects shouldnt be handled only by admin and not the project adminsters. We have lot of workflow which has kind for PO and project administers add people in PO role and performing those actions.

We need to find a way to stop this process

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

That is not possible from my experience by default. You can still use groups for that and find a workaround yourself to narrow it down to a group of projects/specific projects by creating x different groups. Would work, but is not a perfect way to solve that. Or you have to replace your project administrators in that specific project/s. Maybe better would be to train & trust your administrators more. And if it is that important, use groups.

Suggest an answer