Create a filter to search for the stories that have a subtask with the certain name

mukhortova_kateryna June 14, 2022

Hello, 

I'm looking for the query to be able to filter stories that have a subtask asssigned with a certain name. 

The exact example: I need to filter stories that have a subtask 'Demo' assigned. 

Would appreciate your help. 

Thanks. 

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

Hi @mukhortova_kateryna 

As you're on Jira Server, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

You can use this query to filter stories that have a subtask 'Demo' assigned. 

issue in parentOf(“summary  ~  Demo”) and issuetype = story

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Hi, 

JQL doesn't natively support that; I believe you'll need an app from the Atlassian Marketplace. Two ways forward:

• There's a number of apps in the Marketplace that extend JQL. ScriptRunner has been mentioned, and there's also JQL Search Extensions, which I believe has a function for this.
  • There's a number of hierarchy-focused apps in the Marketplace. These apps typically don't rely on native JQL, but have their own ways of figuring out parent/child relationships between issues. I can only speak for JXL for Jira (the app that my team is working on); here, it would be very easy to model your use case.

Hope this helps,

Hannes

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Just to add to the second point, here's how this would work in the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira:

• First, create a so-called "sheet" in JXL that includes a.) all subtasks that fulfil the Demo requirement, plus b.) any possible story; e.g., all stories from the given project. Don't worry about the parent/child relationship; JXL will sort this out for you.
  • In your JXL sheet, enable the default issue hierarchy. This is a one-click operation.
  • In your JXL sheet, filter out all "empty" stories, i.e. all stories that don't have children in the current result set. That's again a one-click operation.

The below clip is for a very similar use case:

unresolved-epics-with-all-issues-done.gif

If needed, you could now "mark" these stories e.g. using a label (in JXL, you can bulk-edit issues very conveniently using copy/paste), or export your list to CSV or Excel.

(Note that while JXL is only listed for Cloud and Data Center on the Marketplace, it's also perfectly compatible with Server. If you're interested, I'm happy to generate a free trial license for you!)

- H

Like Ivan Lima likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

Hi @mukhortova_kateryna ,

As per my knowledge , out of the box this feature is not available. 

You can try with script runner plugin. 

Suggest an answer