Create a custom field table

sbhutada March 18, 2019

Is there any way I can create a custom table field in Jira?

Here is my use case, User will enter the value for Field 1 and based on the value entered I want to run an API which will return values for Field 2 and Field 3. User can also add or remove rows from the table.

+-------------+------------------+-----------------+
| Field 1     | Field 2          | Field 3         |
| ABC         | From web service | From web service|
+/-

Please let me know what will be the best way to handle this? Is there any way to create custom web section or table.

Any thoughts?

3 answers

4 votes
Moritz Wagner November 20, 2019

I just want do limit the addon craziness around jira and confluence a little and show a possibility to add tables without any addon needed:

1 Create a custom text field (multiline)

2. add the wiki markup for your table as default entry (Custom fields->confligure)

3. change the renderer to wiki markup (Field configuration -> configure)

4. voilà: You'll be welcomed with a nice table inside your custom field that is freely configurable by the user.

ihor_zozuliak February 11, 2021

Good solution! Simple and elegant

Sad that it will not work on Customer Portal

Like Ada Kardos likes this
DWedekind January 13, 2022

Hi @Moritz Wagner 

I'm afraid I'm having trouble with step 2, can you please clarify a bit more? I am using Jira Server 8.20.3.
Does this only work in conjunction with an API? I would like to have a field where I can display/edit a table with 5 columns and 2 rows.

Like Deleted user likes this
Helen Melville July 7, 2022

For the benefit of others who like me had the same question as @DWedekind : once within the custom fields-> configure window, select 'renderer' to access the wiki style markup option.

Like DWedekind likes this
Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2023

Hi @Moritz Wagner ,

I know this post was ages ago. But would it be possible for you to guide me with details on creation of custom field with table grid in it? Appreciate if you can include screenshots as well.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

2 votes
Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

Hi Sameer,

Have a look at the Table Grid Editor marketplace app https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1110050/table-grid-editor?hosting=server&tab=overview

Users can add or remove one or more rows, as well as running an external API lookup.

Would recommend avoiding ScriptRunner for now, as it's a lot of work building your own custom field type.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

As a Scriptrunner advocate... um, I totally agree.  Whilst there are good things you can do with SR and fields, building a custom field like this should be done in a dedicated App.  The Table Grid Editor is such an App.

Dan Knapton January 24, 2024

This no longer exists.  Seems to have converted to JXL.

0 votes
sbhutada March 18, 2019
Hailin Zhang March 18, 2019

Hi @sbhutada 

If you'd like to try the JEditor solution, please confirm that you have JEditor plugin installed.

If you have the plugin, please follow the steps mentioned in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Custom-field-table/qaq-p/745171 to create a template and add prepopulation setting.

The last thing is you need to add your own HTML code to the template (I cannot provide you html code of template, you can just add standard html table code).

Regards

Hailin Zhang March 18, 2019

Hi again,

As you need to do some dynamic thing based on your entry, you can try to have jsp in your HTML code. Or try Table Grid Editor (we are using this plugin as well, it is a good plugin)

Cheers

Suggest an answer