Create a board showing epics?

Joseph Verrico September 30, 2014

I can create a board showing stories for a project.  Can I create a board that shows just the epics for a project? 

5 answers

4 votes
Layne_Sadler November 29, 2017

I would really like to do this as well. I have an epic for each of our platform team's major strategic elements. And I want to show how far along each of these epics are to the exec team!

This is almost a requirement for agile release trains aka program management, no?

1 vote
Kenny Song October 15, 2019

Go to configure board. 

On the General page update your query to filter on issuetype = Epic.

On the Columns page disable the Epic Panel option.

Michael Schmid March 2, 2020

Disabling “Epic Panel” is the crucial information

Liang Zou June 10, 2020

This don't work any more.

allie ruby February 2, 2021

Issuetype does not exist

1 vote
Deleted user January 29, 2019

The best way I've found to do this is (as @Ben Davis mentioned above) to use a Kanban board.

To do this with just a filter view

Step 1:  Create a filter with 'type = epic' and save it.

Step 2:  When you're in the filter, click on 'Columns' and search for 'Rank' and check the box to add it to the view.  Sort in ascending order to have the highest ranked epics at the top.

OR Step 2:  Add to the filter logic in JQL 'ORDER BY Rank ASC'

One thing to note here is that if you want to change the order of the rank from this view, you can hover over an epic row, select ... when it appears on that row, scroll down in the drop down and select 'rank to top' or 'rank to bottom.'  Another way to change the rank order is to create a scrum or kanban board that references that filter, open the 'epics panel' (note: in a kanban board, you have to go into board settings -> columns -> turn on the kanban backlog by moving 'to do' status to the kanban backlog column -> select 'enable epic panel).  You can then move the epics up or down within the epics panel and it'll automatically change the rank so that when you go back to your filter, it's updated.

To this with a board (my preferred method)

Step 1:  Create a filter with 'type = epic' and save it.

Step 2:  Create a kanban board that uses the filter.

Now you can move the epics up and down within the kanban board (changing their rank) and/or move them to different columns to indicate whether they're to do, in progress, or done.

You can't do this with a scrum board (at least to my knowledge).

You don't have to enable epics panel or anything since the epics show up directly in the kanban board.  In fact, if you do turn on the epics panel (per the instructions above), it will not show you the epics in the kanban board itself - it will only show them in the epics panel.

Hope this helps!

allie ruby February 2, 2021

For type = epic, what exactly do you mean? I'm in JIRA Data Center and can't find an option for type in the More dropdown.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

"type" is a shorthand for "issue type".  In JQL you can use issuetype = epic and type = epic to get the same thing - a list of epics.  The shorthand only applies in some places though.

Like allie ruby likes this
allie ruby February 3, 2021

Thank you for the prompt explanation. I don't believe this is available for Data Center.

1 vote
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Hi,

Your board is based on a filter. If you change the filter to only return epics, your board will show just that. Alternatively, if you want to have a look at the epics but also need to see other issue types sometimes, you can create a filter that returns all the issue types that you need and create a quick filter for your board to only show epics. This way you can switch view between just the epics and everything that is on the board.

Regards,

Geert

Joseph Verrico September 30, 2014

Updating the filter for the board was my first thought. Filter is where project = X and issuetype = epic. Does not work. Board does not show the epics like it shows issues. I just see the epics in the epics section as normal. I want to see epics in the board so I can move them to sprints, prioritize them, etc.

Like # people like this
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

You are right, epics are a special type which are always shown in the Epic panel. So the board does show all the epics in your project, but you cannot prioritize them or add them to sprints. You could use the classic board to prioritize the epics, but the classic board is about to disappear from JIRA Agile. Actually, the question is why you want to prioritize and plan epics in a sprint? Epics represent a large amount of work (larger than you can handle in a sprint), that is broken down in stories. Stories can then be prioritized and planned in sprints. If you are looking for roadmap planning, then maybe you should take a look at JIRA Portfolio.

Joseph Verrico October 1, 2014

You are spot on. We are looking to do product roadmap / portfolio planning. We saw the presentation on Jira Portfolio. It looks like it will meet our needs very well. Unfortunately, we are using the Cloud version of Jira thus Jira Portfolio is not available for us. We don't even know when Jira Portfolio will be made available for the Cloud version. Funny that. Even though Atlassian has this great portfolio planning tool, they still cannot provide a release date for said tool in the cloud.

Like Jed Wheeler likes this
Ben Davis November 10, 2017

I'm having exactly the same problem as you @Joseph Verrico. I want to show the list of epics for a number of projects in one filter so that I can generate a quick report for my PO. It will save me a lot of time. I can't find a solution. Have you had any luck?

Ben Davis November 10, 2017

...and minutes after asking, I have a solution! I needed to filter where

'project = X AND issuetype = Epic

OR project = Y AND issuetype = Epic

OR project = Z AND issuetype = Epic...'

...repeat for as many projects as you wish to include in the filter.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2017

Project in (x, y, z) and issuetype = Epic

is neater than chains of OR junctions.

Or even, assuming you are using project categories,

Category = <something> and issuetype = Epic

Like # people like this
MDP Scrum Master July 2, 2018

@Ben Davis @Joseph VerricoAny luck?? I need to do exactly the same!! "Updating the filter for the board was my first thought. Filter is where project = X and issuetype = epic. Does not work. Board does not show the epics like it shows issues. I just see the epics in the epics section as normal. I want to see epics in the board so I can move them to sprints, prioritize them, etc."

Rachel Imbrogno October 15, 2018

I am having the exact same need. I am looking at using a board for a simple roadmap (columns represents the quarters).  Roadmap plugins and other apps are far too expensive for just the need of a simple roadmap tool.

Has anyone else found alternate solutions??

Ben Davis November 19, 2018

@MDP Scrum Master, your scenario is a little different to mine. If you're only populating your board with Epics, Jira will only let you structure them on a KANBAN board. Instead you could try raising them as Stories which will then let you create a scrum board from which you can organise sprints. If you have both Epics and Stories on your boards, I don't have an answer for that, I'm afraid.

0 votes
kavi shree
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2018

Suggest an answer