Create a Workflow linked with 2 projects

Pierre-Henry Deliège March 5, 2018

Hello there,

Let summarize my environment:

I have 2 Jira projects: one for customer support/request and one for the Dev.

Once a customer opens a ticket on customer support, I create a new ticket on the Dev project so Dev Team can follow it and includes the issue/new request in the development.

This new ticket on DEV is linked to the ticket on Customer Support.

On the customer support project, I'm using the standard workflow: Waiting for support / Waiting for Customer.

I would like to have a third status: Development in progress. This status should come automatically when the ticket opened on Dev project is on status TODO.

I've tried multiple things following some readings, but it still doesn't work.

Any support to create this new workflow will be much appreciate.

Thanks in advance, 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pierre-Henry Deliège March 6, 2018

Dear all,

Thanks for your support and your ideas.

I finally found the issue (with the help of the great Altassian support).

In one of my transitions, I had a condition that was never met.

Now, it's working fine !!! 

Thanks again for your support.

1 vote
Pierre-Henry Deliège March 5, 2018

Hello,

Well, here is what I setup:

My Workflow:

Jira1.png

Then I created an Automation:

Jira2.png

The automation is working fine as soon as I modified the linked issue, but I have the following error:

Jira3.png

What am I missing ? Where can I find more information about this error ?

Thanks for your support.

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2018

Pierre do you have a field thats suppose to be filled or mandatory in that transition? If Jira is specting an field or validating information in that transition the automation will not be able to take place.

Regards

No, I didn't configure any field required for the transition.

Is there a log or traces where I can have more information about the error ?

Thanks,

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

Is the user which runs this rule, granted Transition permission for the linked/main issue project?

Ehhh... If I well understood you... The Automation that I wrote tries to change the transition on the linked issue, correct ?

This is not what I would like, I would like to change the transition on the main issue.

Let me go back to the automation and see if I can figure out how to specify that I want the main issue.

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

You need to check the workflow.

Try "debugging it" , log in to that user and try to transition the issue manually.

Seeing your screenshots it should work as you are specifying, meaning transition main issue.

Yes, I confirm, the Rule tries to change the Transition on the Main Issue (MTC-133).

So, this is correct.

Now, the option of the Rule specify to run the Rule using Project Default (myself) and I'm the administrator of this project. So it should be fine.

How can I run the Rule manually ?

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

Generally speaking, having a "robot" user for these kind of stuff is better.

First, even though I'm sure this works, try a different action instead of transition.

After you verify that, check the issue and try to transition manually.

Judging by the error thrown it looks like some kind of validation error.

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2018

Pierre have you checked that you do not have two status with similar name? maybe it is traying to transition to a status that it is not in that workflow?

0 votes
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2018

Do you have ScriptRunner or any similar script running addon?

You could write a simple script, only for that link type preferably, and transition linked issue automatically.

Service Desk by default offers some of this functionality, but very limited.

Strongly suggest to get ScriptRunner. 

Suggest an answer