Create a Project with Different Users

nurdymuny December 17, 2012

SO -- This should be simple but ---

I just want to create a new project in my JIRA system. But I don't want two different clients to see each other's project. I can't figure out how to do it. The permissions section seems to be affecting ALL permissions and not just permissions for a project.

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Use the project roles in the permission schemes and add different users/groups in to those roles.

You can ofcourse use different permission schemes for different projects but roles works best.

0 votes
Susan Hazlett December 17, 2012

This requires a pretty thorough understanding of what you want to do. I just went through the same thing recently. Here's a rough (high level) description of what I went through.

The combination of permissions and roles will get you to where you want to be. (That's the minimum). I restructured my user-groups so that my users were isolated to a small set of groups. Then I created specific roles for that project, and associated the groups with the roles.

Then: create the permissions scheme you want with the new groups/roles you want to use.

Finally: in the Jira admin for the target project, associate the permission scheme and the roles with what you just configured.

It took some hit/miss when I set this up, but with the help of a dummy user, I could check to see that my permissions/roles, etc worked exactly as I set it up.

The only note of caution I have is that if you have more than one person who has administrator rights, you'll want to communicate how to create a new user, if that user is in the group of isolated users.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer