Create a Jira Project for anything that needs its own Versions?

emddudley July 15, 2012

Would it be correct to say that anything that needs its own Versions should be a project?

Currently my Jira instance has projects that consist of multiple components, and each component is released separately. This does not work well because all of the Versions are intermixed on the project's Versions page.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Kohler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2012

yes, I think that would be an correct assumption. It of course depends a bit on the components and how many you have.

If you use GreenHopper (agile) making a planning over multiple projects isn't a issue anymore. Thanks to the new rapid boards. So in this case I would suggest creating a few extra projects.

If you don't use greenhopper at all, using the a cascading select might be the best workaround for you -- as described here Another solution, if you only have a few versions, is to prefix your version by component. ie compa-1.1 and compb-1.1. It's not perfect, but sorting is a bit easier ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan

0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

We have developed a JIRA plugin that allows component specific version numbers. It enforces component specific versions on issue create, edit, inline edit and workflow screens. You can check it out at Atlassian Marketplace (Component and Bundle Versions for JIRA) or at read the plug-in's help page for more detailed manual.

Suggest an answer