Create Sub-Task in Different Project from Parent Issue

TSM Admin June 1, 2012

Is it possible to create sub-tasks in a different project than the parent issue? We don't want numerous sub-tasks to throw off the parent issue sequences.

1 answer

3 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2012

It is not possible. You might be able to do it with heavy JIRA customization but I wouldn't recommend due to the effort involved and possible issues.

TSM Admin June 1, 2012

Any way to affect the issue numbering? Something like: ISSUE-SUB-5

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2012

You would need dev work for this too. Again, this also can affect other funtionalities like rendering the issue keys as links in comments etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2012

I completely agree with Jobin - there's no way to do subtasks in different projects.

Apart from the mass of coding and testing you'd need, it would be an organisational disaster too. I've seen it done (not in Jira) a few times, and it's an utter nightmare. If you really think you need to do this, then it's almost certain that your processes are a mess. Apologies if that seems harsh, it may well be working for you and I've only had bad experiences. But the projects I've seen it done in were chaotic and all failed miserably.

For the key changes, again, Jobin is correct - you'll need code, it'll be difficult, and it will break other bits of Jira unless you do a lot of coding and catch all the places that expect a more simple key (I imagine Greenhopper especially would be an utter pain to update)

Robert BERNHARD June 26, 2014

hi,

we have the same need and i do not agree that this means the processes are a mess

we run software projects in jira and have a process fitting this need. the challenge is how to handle infrastructure tasks. we have an own infrastructure project intended for infrastructure tasks.

if noinfrastructure tasks are needed inside a sw project we either create inside the sw project but then the system admins have to work with several boards or we create in infrastructure ind link to a ticket in project but as well this is not great as you have to maintain 2 tickets..

so i wonder if someone has a solution for this problem. as well considering that the sw workflow normally differs from infrastructure workflow.

brg robert

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2014

You could think of solutions like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.jira.plugins.createandlink. That way you'd keep the issues in different projects but keep a coherent linking policy. I don't see a simple way to do it in a single project...

Suggest an answer