Create Resolution Time Report for closed tickets

Brooke Musat September 22, 2017

I want to create Resolution Time Report for closed tickets. I've tried to do this a few ways. 

1st, I created a filter for all closed tickets for a particular issue type. Then I tried to run the report for those issues in the filter and I got this message: "There are no matching issues to report on.". Which seems odd, because there are over 400 issues in said filter. 

2nd, I tried to pull the report into a kanban board and run it from there but I get the same message. 

3rd I tried something slightly different, I tried to run the same report (Resolution Time Report) off a kanban board for issues that are in several open states (not closed), and the report delivered data for the entire Project not just the issue type. 

I am confused and not sure how to get this information. 

Thanks

-B 

3 answers

1 vote
Olap October 11, 2018

Atlassian's way of doing things backwards never cease to amaze me. I don't use Resolved in my flows so I can't determine how long does it take to close a ticket. How annoying is that? 

0 votes
Glenn Morrow September 25, 2017

Nope. Works fine for me doing a very similar filter. One thing, why "projects" in your filter? Are you running the report from a different project than the one you are reporting non? That said I did that and it works for me but it might be a cross-project permissions thing? Are you running the report from he OPS project or elsewhere?

If that doesn't fix it for you, can you send a screenshot of the page you get "There are no matching issues ..."? I can get that if I don't select right filter etc. If you send a screenshot of that it might reveal something.

Brooke Musat September 27, 2017

Hey Glenn, so the filter I created (screenshot in my above comment) is for a specific issue type. The OPS project does have a handful of issue types in it, if that makes a difference. This (below) is the result I get for that filter now (seems like no data is being pulled in). Is it because the tickets are closed and never went to a "Resolved" state? All I want is to look back on past closed tickets and understand how long they they took to be resolved (Open Date - Closed Date essentially)/ 

JIRA.PNG

The other approach I just tried was running the report from the Kanban board. Here are 2 screenshots of what I did: 

Step 1 - chose same filter as above (Closed EXP_Marketing Tickets) 

JIRA_2.PNG

Step 2 Clicked "Next" button and saw this 

JIRA_EXAMPLE_1.PNG

Brooke Musat September 27, 2017

So I think the issue is that ticket never went to a resolved state. From the filter I just exported to excel and then ran a report that found the difference between the "Created Date" and the Updated Date". This seemed to work. 

thanks

-b

Glenn Morrow September 28, 2017

Yep! Sorry, I was a bit slow on picking that up. Yes it if it a Time to Resolution report they need to have gone thorough "resolution" status for that flag to be set (date/time resolved). In your filer you can change to "List view" (button next to Basic/Advanced - far right) and then add a column for "Resolved" - for all tickets where that column is blank a "Time to Resolution" won't report them. Why there isn't also a "Time to Closed" report I don't know - you could ask Atlassian! But in the meantime yes you Excel option sounds best. Good luck! :)

Glenn Morrow September 28, 2017

PS: I think you can close this query - some option to accept or reject this answer somewhere :)

0 votes
Glenn Morrow September 22, 2017

For the first option you tried what is the filter? If you run that just in a search do you get results? You say there should be 400 odd tickets, so does a filter get that result? If so then the same thing should work in a report if it is the same - so test and refine it in a search filter first. 

Does that help?

Brooke Musat September 25, 2017

Hey Glenn, So when I run just the filter I get 492 results (see below).  But I am still unable to run a Resolution Time Report using this filter. Is it because the tickets are closed? I just want an easy way to look back on closed tickets and understand how long (on average) they took to resolve. 

Example.PNG

Glenn Morrow September 25, 2017

See my other reply. My iPhone seems to be messying up what comment it thinks I am replying to

Suggest an answer