Create Only is able to work on issues

Michael Bredehorn June 5, 2014

Hey there,

we are trying to create a group of users that is only able to create issues.

But at this time, they can even work on issues or close them.

We already tried some of the tips around the Forums, but none of them worked for us.

The Group is part of the Global Permission "Jira-Users" to perform an Login.

Thanks

Michael

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Thanks Nic, that solved my problem.

I configured the "Permission condition" per transition element and everything works just fine.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

I *always* manage to forget to put conditions on my transitions. 10 years, I really should know better by now :-)

Glad we got there!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

I suspect that you've got one or more of the groups the users belong to in the project role "developers".

You always need to read your permission schemes alongside the list of groups and people or groups in the roles in the project you're trying to control access to.

The group "CreateOnlys" is part of Users Role.

The User is able to Start working on the issue as part of the time tracking system.

And he is able to close the issue, he is able to follow the entire workflow behind the project.

This User will be used to by our Service Center create issues and comment them.

He is only in the group "CreateOnlys" which is part of the "JIRA Users" global permission.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2014

Ok, that helps.

Before I run off down the wrong path, I'd like to be clear - when you say the users can "work on" issues, do you mean they can log work on it? Not a general "they can do things to issues"?

Also, can you pick on a particular user who should have "create, but nothing else" but is getting more options, and check the full list of groups they are in?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2014

I don't know what time tracking you are using, but I think what's happening is...

1. Your time tracking's "start work" process is actually the same as the Jira workflow's "start progress" transition

2. You've got a condition on that transition that says "members of the users role can do this" or "members of the createsys group can do this", or you have no conditions at all, which means "anyone can do this"

In other words, check the workflow!

(Also, you keep saying "he is only in CreateOnlys, which is part of the Jira users global permission". That's fine, but you do know that when you add any new user, they will automatically be added to CreateOnlys as well as jira-users?)

It s the build in time tracking of JIRA.

Yeah it s the standard element for "In Progress".

Okay, i think i know what you try to tell me.

The Time Tracking Permission "Work on Issue" isn t the same as the Workflow Element "In Progress".

So i need to change the Workflow configuration, but what exactly do i have to do ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2014

Ah ok.

You'll need to edit the workflow. Just above the part of screen you've posted, there should be an option to edit it - this will create a "draft" where you can make changes you need, and then, when you're ready "publish" it to update the workflow.

In the screenshot you've got there, you can see the "transitions" column. You probably want to start with the very first one (with an ID of 11) - that moves an issue to "in progress". Open that up and look at the "conditions" on it (there may be none, which is my suspicion)

Suggest an answer