Create Linked Issue for Custom Link Type

Stephen Williams January 12, 2018

Here's the scenario I am trying to solve:

1. Story is created. When story moves to In Progress, a new QA task is created with a custom link type (Parent/Child) where Story = Parent and Task = Child.

2. Once the linked QA task moves to Done, a second Review linked task is created and linked to the original Story (Step 1) with a custom link type (Parent/Child) where Story = Parent and Task = Child.

So that there is one parent Story and two linked Child tasks for Step 1 and Step 2.

I have Step 1 working using Automation for JIRA, but I can't seem to get the second task (Step 2) to link to the original story. I think the issue is that I need to determine if there is a smart value for the custom link type (Parent/Child). I've tried using {{issue.Parent}} as shown, but it simply will create the new task but not link it.

Screen Shot 01-12-18 at 10.34 AM.PNG

I know that this could be solved easier using Epics and/or Sub-Tasks, but this is not a viable option in this case. Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2018

Hi Stephan,

You can access the linked issues like this:

{{issue.issuelinks.last.inwardIssue.key}}

But unfortunately for your case, there is no way to restrict it to just a "Parent/Child" link type. So if there were more than one issue link it would not work :( 

Sorry,

Scott.

Suggest an answer