Create Epic from Agile Board always requires fields to be shown

techjedi December 20, 2013

Epics are configured in our project to have a few required custom fields. Our create issue screen is setup properly that when creating an Epic from the "Create Issue" link topcenter, all the fields appear that should be shown.

However, when clicking the "Create epic" link from the Epic panel on Agile boards, the only fields shown by default are Epic Name, Summary, Description. This causes us to either A) click the "create" button at the bottom and have it fail, with the required fields magically appearing, or B) Click "Configure Fields" in the upper right to add the fields. Unfortunately, option B selections are never persisted, so its just pointless extra clicking.

Why does the create epic screen from the agile board not obey the Create Issue Screen I configured? I cannot find a way to modify the create issue screen that appears when using the "create epic" link from the agile board. Hopefully I am just missing something obvious.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2013

Heya Techjedi,

Sorry to inform you that it is not, I have tried on the latest JIRA Agile that the "Create Epic" button on the Plan Board Epic Tab seems like ignoring all my screen configuration, looks like it have it own screen. And yes, the "Create Issue" on top does follow my customized screen. been searching for the JS file, but looks like it is not easy to find.

I have searched for solution on this, but it appears that it have raised as a bug report of JIRA Agile system, you can see the report here:

You may add yourself as a watcher to get updates and vote or comment on the ticket so the developer will review the case.

Hope this information can help you a lil bit.

Regards, Julian.

techjedi January 5, 2014

Thank you Julian, it looks like it is a known issue, so I guess I will just instruct the team to not use the Create Epic link on the planning board. I marked your response as the answer.

Suggest an answer