Create Customers not JIRA users for JIRA ServiceDesk

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

I am in an organization where users are synchronized with the AD. All employees can log into JIRA an when they do they are added to the group jira-users and will count towards the license. 

We are now looking into using JIRA ServiceDesk and a lot of employees do not need real JIRA access they will be fine with only using the Customer Portal. BUT I cannot find any documentation on how I can resolve this. 

I want users that should be customers to go to the portal, log in using their regular login details (AD) and then be a customer to our servicedesk. Then I want users that should use JIRA to be able to do as they do now, log in and then be a jira-user. 

Does anyone know? Very thankful for help here. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

Hi Susanne, just my two cents on this to add to the answers above:

JIRA Service Desk does not provide integration with AD for customer accounts. We already have a feature request regarding this in JSD-1015. You can vote for this feature and add yourself as a watcher to be aware of new developments in this case.

-Teilor

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

Thanks, I suspected that :( I have voted for this. What I think we need to do is to include a group from our AD that includes all employees so that groups is added to the role service-desk-customer for our JIRA project.

IT Team AG Solution December 16, 2019

Hi Susanne,

I have the same problem. We have some AD accounts that need to access JIRA but others only need to access to the Service Desk as customers, but we want to use AD to unify the logins and the password. 

I have added an organization in our service desk project and all the users on it (Jira users and non Jira users). I added also the customers role to the users in the project. I removed the default access to Jira for new users in the Application Access options.

anyway, when a user login the first time into the service desk portal, his user obtains a jira license and I have to enter in their profile and remove manually the jira-software-user check.

how can avoid this? how has you do it?

thanks for your help

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2014

Hi Susanne,

You can remove the users who shouldn't have access to JIRA.

Then you can access the project on Service Desk that they should have access, click on People > Customer > Invite customers. The invited users will receive an email to set password for Service Desk.

Hope this resolves your issue.

Thanks and regards,
Paula SIlveira

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

Thanks for your reply! We would like to not have that much manual handling :(

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

And the users would really want to use the same user credentials for all Atlassian products.

0 votes
Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

Hey there,

you should solve this with another Group.
Take everyone the login-permission (jira-user) who doesn't need it and put everyone in a group (f.e. service-desk customer) and set these in the role customer in the service desk project.

Then they keep their logins but can just access on the customer portal not the "support backend".

Hope this could help.

Greets
Simon 

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

I will resolve it in another similar way. using an AD group where all employees are members.

Suggest an answer