Crash in Chrome

ben.botto October 23, 2017

Using the new JIRA UI, Chrome crashes all the time.  I can't even use it.  Check out the attached recorded gif.

In a nutshell, if I click things in succession I get a crash.  Doesn't seem to matter what I click: issues, issue types, sorting...

Everyone on my team is experiencing the same problem.

jira.gif

5 answers

0 votes
Crisan Adrian September 23, 2021

I still encounter this issue, from time to time. The solution is to close the tab and go the root of atlassian website and from there select again the project.

0 votes
ben.botto October 31, 2017

It's a memory leak in JIRA that is caused by references to detached DOM trees.  Bug report here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67781  Reproduction is trivial.  Chrome crashes quickly with an "OOM, heap space exceeded error."  Other browsers (Firefox, IE, etc.) take longer to crash but still suffer from the leak.

0 votes
Clément Billoré October 31, 2017

Same issue here (latest chrome + ubuntu 16.04), needs only 3 or 4 clicks to crash Jira tab. Occurs in the new and in the previous UI.

It's clear that's a Jira problem, it rarely happens in other tabs...

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2017

I have had this same issue happen to me as well (i.e. Chrome tab Crashes) but not with this consistency.
And when it did happen to me, it was just random and not particular to JIRA. 
So this isn't necessarily a JIRA problem.

If you're browser is not up to date, I'd suggest update it to the latest version. 
And also monitor the memory/RAM situation in the Task Manger when the crash occurs. See if that tab of Chrome is not taking too much memory and cpu units. It could be related to that as well. 

Also does this happen with other browsers as well or is it just chrome?

ben.botto October 24, 2017

Thanks for the response, Tayyab Bashir.  I called out in the screen grab that Chrome is indeed the newest version.  Stable channel.

Chrome is definitely not using much ram.  Note in the screen grab that only JIRA's open (and the About Chrome page).  This is my development machine, and it's beefy: I have 64GB of ram and a Core i7.

The issue does not happen in Firefox, only in Chrome.

This issue is trivial to reproduce; it affects every developer on my team, and we can reproduce it on all of our computers.

• Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64.
  • Install Chrome (standard Chrome).
  • Open JIRA and click a ticket multiple times.  (Or really click anything: sort, filter, move...)
Deleted user October 25, 2017

I've seen the same issue with the new JIRA UI using Chrome 58 on Ubuntu 16.04, presents in the same way as shown in your GIF.

It appears that there is some kind of memory issue when accessing multiple issues in the new UI in quick succession (or multiple issues over a short time period, 10+ issues seems to be the magic number).

Steps to reproduce are the same as you describe:

• Open Chrome 58 on Ubuntu 16.04
  • Browse to list of JIRA issues within the new JIRA UI
  • Click an issue in the issue list multiple times (10+)
  • Witness the chrome process crash, and all tabs within that process crash. 

If you enable Chrome Debug Logging you'll see an out of memory error when the process crashes.

0 votes
ben.botto October 24, 2017

Not an answer.

Suggest an answer