Could not create necessary subdirectory 'import/attachments' of jira.home.

Ben Whitehill December 13, 2012

I am in the process of migrating from JIRA 4.0 running PostgreSQL on an old server to 5.2 on a new server using MySQL. JIRA starts, but when I go to the website, I receive an error stating: "Could not create necessary subdirectory 'import/attachments' of jira.home."

Per the instructions located here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

I have copied the old version's home, index, and attachment directories. I have also sourced the hold home directory in the jira-application.properties file.

Not sure where to go from here.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2012

Check permissions and ownership of the home directory - does it exist? Is it owned by the right user, with full read/write/execute/delete permissions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2012

Ok, so can you log in as the user who runs Jira and try creating the directory manually?

Ben Whitehill December 13, 2012

Hi Nic,

I confirmed that it has the proper permissions and is owned by the right person. However, for the sake of trouble shooting, I have set the permissions to read/write/and execute for ALL. Yet I still receive the same error.

Ben Whitehill December 14, 2012

Thanks Nick. Creating the directories manually worked.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2012

Could you check that you have copied the attachment directory properly? It should be something like <JIRA_HOME>/data/attachments/<projectkey>/<issuekey>/ where <projectkey> is the respective projectkey, while <issuekey> is the respective issuekey directory.

Ben Whitehill December 14, 2012

The attachments directory is a completely seperate directory. For example...the JIRA home is: /opt/jira-home and the attachments directory is: /opt/jira-attach. These were the paths when they resided on the old server.

Suggest an answer