Correct way to structure groups of deliverables

James Rowley July 29, 2014

Hi - i've used JIRA for issue tracking, but we're now moving over to using it to run workflow & help with visibility. I want to make sure i get the structure right in a large project. Let me explain.

We operate week to week. Within each week we can have a series of campaigns. Within each campaign we have a set of deliverables which are effectively resizes of the same thing. I know you can't do sub projects, but I want to set a structure up that allows us to group the resizes (different files per resize - all kept in Stash) within a campaign and group those campaigns within a week of the year:

i.e.

CLIENT >

.............. >WEEK1

....................>CAMPAIGN1

.......................DELIVERABLE1 (200px x 200px)

.......................DELIVERABLE2 (300px x 500px)

[need to report issues across one or multiple deliverables within a campaign]

....................>CAMPAIGN2

.................>WEEK2

etc

Now we may get issues which affect all the deliverables within a campaign, so our QA may need to assign an issue or a change to a specific deliverable, or all deliverables within a campaign.

We are running around 20 campaigns per week & I don't want to end up with an unwieldy structure.

I wanted to setup each week as a project, then nest campaigns within each week & then use COMPONENTS to define each different deliverable but I'm struggling to find a way to find a neat way to nest a bunch of campaigns within a week (subprojects within a project), so they are seperated out well.

Each campaign has it's own workflow and delivery timeline so I can't just throw everything together

Creating seperate projects for every single campaign will soon become unmanageable.

Help!

Thx !

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2014

It sounds like you could use Jira Agile for this. You'd need to enable parallel sprints, but I think you could make it work if you did 1 week sprints. It's meant to work best when used in an actual Agile environement, but I've done this type of thing with non-Agile teams and it's worked out pretty well.

Suggest an answer