Correct username not showing in Jira

WebO January 10, 2018

We have Crowd that is connected to our Active Directory.

We have a user that was entered into AD incorrectly and subsequently changed to correct spelling.  The first username was imported into Crowd and on change to correct spelling the correct username is now visible in Crowd.

However, when viewing user management in Jira we can only see the original (incorrect) username.  Therefore the user cannot login to Jira.

We have seen this issue in Confluence whereby two entries are put into the DB and you have to delete the older entries to allow the correct entry to work.

Is there a similar problem with Jira and if so, is the fix the same or different?

Crowd 2.8.2

Jira 7.3.6

Confluence 6.2.1

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Jira handles user renames a bit differently.   When an account is first created in Jira, it will always have a set value in the app_user.userkey field in the database.  That value will never change even if the account itself is renamed later.

Given that the account has been fixed in ldap, and then Crowd is syncing those changes.  In turn I would expect Jira to also have synced this change.   The only concern I have about this, is how did Crowd handle this rename?   If Crowd is using an "Alias" it can be that you can have different usernames for the same account in Crowd.

You might want to walk through Specifying an Alias in Crowd just to understand if that is what is happening here.   I'd rather not go hacking through the database unless it's a last resort.   If Crowd is setup this way, then it's possible that trying to hack the database to change this would just have that change get reverted the next time Crowd syncs with Jira again.

Suggest an answer