Correct method to "share" JIRA Service Desk to an existing JIRA Software subscription

George Sopko January 11, 2017

A bit of a newb question... At the moment we have JIRA Software via cloud offering and I did a POC with JIRA Service Desk and would like to purchase JIRA Service Desk. For billing and administrative purposes it would be easier for me to use a PO for JIRA Service Desk and then hopefully with the help if the JIRA Software admin, we'd share/link the projects we need between the two. The fact that they would be two separate subscriptions matter for full capability between the two as far as mappings go? 

If truly need be, I can add JIRA Service Desk to our JIRA Software... but as I said above...

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
George Sopko January 13, 2017

So, I did find out how to do it, I think. I have to wait for the admin of our JIRA Software:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/APPLINKS061/Link+Atlassian+applications+to+work+together

Hopefully that will do what I want to do as we both want to admin our own things. I need to be able to create projects within Service Desk at will. But, Atlassian made it so only admins of JIRA Core can do such things which is not the bestest way and I'll have visibility into things that I shouldn't have. There might be a way around that via permission schemes, but, I am a total newb at JIRA products outside of being a user.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

There is no native way to link the JIRA systems together if you have two installations.  Atlassian generally expect you to install things in one place, so everyone is working together on the same thing.

If you do keep them separate, you're going to need to work out a method of getting the two to "link".  You can set up basic stuff like pointers to each other, and application links, but they don't do a huge amount on their own.  The question is what you want from the links - partial or full issue synchronisation is the most likely answer and that's not easy.

Suggest an answer