Copying projects from Jira 6.4.10 to 7.13 in a new server

Sathya November 27, 2019

We have all our current JIRA projects set up in version 6.4.10. Now we are looking to use the latest Enterprise Release 7.13 which will be hosted on a new server altogether.

Can I get suggestions on how the existing projects can be moved / copied from the existing version 6.4.10 in server X to the new version, 7.13 in server Y.

There is no upgrade as these are going to be different hardwares.

Suggestions / inputs, welcome please.

Thanks

S

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

To migrate projects over to a new instance, both Jira instances must be at the same version.  So I'm afraid you need to upgrade your existing instance before you can migrate.

Once that's done you have two options:

1. Take an entire XML backup of the existing instance, and restore it to the new instance.  This will move everything, but wipe out anything that was previously created on the new instance.
  2. Use an add-on such as Project Configurator, to migrate a selected number of projects.
Sathya November 27, 2019

Hi Pete,

Many Thanks for your response.

Thanks

S

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2019

Have you looked at the documentation? If so what is the issue?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/moving-from-server-to-data-center-953127136.html 

Sathya November 27, 2019

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the document.

From the requirement I understand that our server instance with 6.4.10 will be decommissioned once all projects are moved to the new hardware instance with 7.13.

Also, we are not moving to data center.

Thanks

S

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2019

I would suggest the following ;

1) Before you go for a hardware change - upgrade your current JIRA to 7.13

2) Take a backup of the new JIRA ( in old hardware) to new JIRA ( in new hardware)

Use xml backup - it will pick up everything, but do ensure that you deal with attachments separately.

Sathya November 27, 2019

Hi Vickey,

Thanks for your reply. Then again as part of upgrade, I understand as part of my other query that 6.4 cannot be upgraded directly to 7.13. It has to be upgraded to 7.0 and then to 7.13.

So, is this the only preferred approach in order to achieve moving all our projects in 6.4.10 to 7.13.

Thanks

S

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2019

Unless - your source and target instances are of the same version , it is not recommended that you use backup of one version and restore it in an instance of another version.

It will work but you never know what kind of issues prop up and when.

Upgrades are pretty clean with JIRA - why don't you go for it ?

Moving 6.13 to 7.0 will be a big jump - but after that I do not see an issue.

Suggest an answer