Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Copying projects from Jira 6.4.10 to 7.13 in a new server

We have all our current JIRA projects set up in version 6.4.10. Now we are looking to use the latest Enterprise Release 7.13 which will be hosted on a new server altogether.

Can I get suggestions on how the existing projects can be moved / copied from the existing version 6.4.10 in server X to the new version, 7.13 in server Y.

There is no upgrade as these are going to be different hardwares.

Suggestions / inputs, welcome please.

Thanks

S

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

To migrate projects over to a new instance, both Jira instances must be at the same version.  So I'm afraid you need to upgrade your existing instance before you can migrate.

Once that's done you have two options:

1. Take an entire XML backup of the existing instance, and restore it to the new instance.  This will move everything, but wipe out anything that was previously created on the new instance.
  2. Use an add-on such as Project Configurator, to migrate a selected number of projects.

Hi Pete,

Many Thanks for your response.

Thanks

S

I would suggest the following ;

1) Before you go for a hardware change - upgrade your current JIRA to 7.13

2) Take a backup of the new JIRA ( in old hardware) to new JIRA ( in new hardware)

Use xml backup - it will pick up everything, but do ensure that you deal with attachments separately.

Hi Vickey,

Thanks for your reply. Then again as part of upgrade, I understand as part of my other query that 6.4 cannot be upgraded directly to 7.13. It has to be upgraded to 7.0 and then to 7.13.

So, is this the only preferred approach in order to achieve moving all our projects in 6.4.10 to 7.13.

Thanks

S

Unless - your source and target instances are of the same version , it is not recommended that you use backup of one version and restore it in an instance of another version.

It will work but you never know what kind of issues prop up and when.

Upgrades are pretty clean with JIRA - why don't you go for it ?

Moving 6.13 to 7.0 will be a big jump - but after that I do not see an issue.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Leader Nov 27, 2019

Have you looked at the documentation? If so what is the issue?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/moving-from-server-to-data-center-953127136.html 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the document.

From the requirement I understand that our server instance with 6.4.10 will be decommissioned once all projects are moved to the new hardware instance with 7.13.

Also, we are not moving to data center.

Thanks

S

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you