Copying jira database from crashed

Sir Be May 11, 2014

I was using JIRA 4.2 standalone on my PC.

Unfortunately it crashed, but I could recover my data.

How can I now copy the old database (jira home directory) into a new 4.2 instance?

I was told to just copy the jira home directory after installing but it doens't seem to work. :s

Any more ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Hello Sir,

Nic has right but, in my opinion, you can also perform this check. If your JIRA had a backup automatic service enabled, you will find the last backup available into your <JIRA-HOME>/export folder.

Using it, you can recovery all db data. So, install a new jira and perform a restore using that file.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Sir Be May 11, 2014

Worked! :D

Tried it before, dunno why it didn't worked...

Whatever, I got my data back!

TY! :D

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Possibly.

It depends mainly on what the database was. If you were using a proper database, then you should be able to install a new Jira 4.2, copy the home directory, and point it at the database.

If, however, you were using the built-in HSQL, then the good news is "yes, you can simply copy the home directory". The bad part is that HSQL is prone to catastrophic failure, and has no resilience in it - if the database file becomes damaged, it can easily lose everything.

So... what database were you using?

Sir Be May 11, 2014

The second story, a local default database.

Copying nor jira gave me errors, so thought it would be ok

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2014

Not with HSQL - that can fail spectacularly.

Anyway, if the plain copy has not worked because your HSQL database is trashed, your only real hope is what Fabio said about backups.

Suggest an answer