Copying a Permission Scheme and the default permission scheme?

Jiju Mathew July 21, 2017

Can someone answer this question PLEASE? 

When I am creating an external client to have access to one project, and then coping a default permssion scheme for the external client, then granting permission in Browse Projects, then associating the new permission scheme to an individual project - that project is now transferred to the new permission scheme from the default. But the problem arises when the an internal user (Admin) (not the external client) do not have that project available for them? Could anyone answer that question for me PLEASE? How do I have that all projects visible and avaiable to the ADMIN but for the external client, just limit it to only ONE project? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2017

>How do I have that all projects visible and avaiable to the ADMIN but for the external client, just limit it to only ONE project? 

There are several ways to do this, but they all boil down to one simple principle - allow everyone to see external projects but let fewer people into the internal one.

Let's say you have Alice and Bob and Charlie.  Bob is your external client.

The best approach is:

• Create a permission scheme that says "Browse project:  Role (User)"
  • In your internal projects, put Alice and Charlie into the role of User.  Leave Bob out.
  • In your external projects, put Alice, Bob and Charlie into the role of User.

However, there is usually a problem with the default settings for JIRA.  It does much as the above for the permission scheme, but it also adds a *Group* into the role as well.  That group is the one that says "people can log in".  So, because Bob is in that group, he gets access.

The solution - remove the can-log-in group from the roles in your projects (and the default role membership), and replace it with a smaller group called something like "internal users".  A group that has no Bob in it.

Jiju Mathew July 21, 2017

I'm new to JIRA - still understanding a few things here. 

So, let's say that I have a default software scheme - which has two projects but if I create a copy of the default software scheme and associate it, then I have:

• Copy of default software scheme - Project A - For the external client (BOB) 
  • Default software scheme - Project B -  (ADMIN) 

But I would want the default software scheme to have PROJECT A and PROJECT B - for Admin.  And Project A just for the client ONLY. Is that what you are saying above? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2017

No.  I defined only one single Permission Scheme in my answer.  You can work with copies, but I kept it as simple (and flexible) as possible, and worked with a single scheme.

The scheme says, in English:  Only people in the project role of "Users" can see the project.

So, in the comment you've made, you would put BOB-the-external into the Users role in Project A, and Admin into the users role in Project B.

Bob would only see project A.  Admin would only see project B (but, as an admin, they would get to see and edit project A's configuration stuff if they were in admin mode)

Suggest an answer