Copy to Subtasks plugin working for custom fields. But how do I do the same for standard fields?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

I have this plugin working now. But one field I wanted to copy to a subtask is 'Description.'

How can I do that so that the field is filled in when the user first creates the subtask?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

Copy to Subtask supports only custom fields. It doesn't support standard fields as of now.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2012

So what IS the way to copy standard fields?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

Too bad. You would think that the standard fields would be easier to deal with.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

It is, in normal cases but there was some blocker for that in this plugin - to get it prepopulated if I remember. There is a ticket to look at this in the newer version. Feel free to vote up.

https://j-tricks.atlassian.net/browse/JCTS-3

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

I voted.

What is that site? First time I have seen it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

That is JIRA OnDemand!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

George,

Have a look at "Set Field Value from Parent" post function in Misc Workflow Extensions Plugin. Worked for me for a few standard fields today.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

I am already using that, but it only copies on a transition and only fields with the same name. What I am doing is a "bucket brigade." On creation I copy the subtask 'Description' to a temp subtask field, copy parent 'Description' to subtask 'Description,' then subtask 'Description' to my custom 'Parent Description' field, and finally the subtask temp field to subtask 'Description.'

But this is less than satisfactory, if for no other reason because a change in the parent 'Description' is not reflected in the subtasks.

What I really want is a feature like the one that lets me display the parent 'Summary' field in the subtask.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Go for a scripted field: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+Fields

Note that it wouldn't let you search. Just a display.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Thanks. Sounds good. But I don't see "Scripted Field" as a custom field choice described at the link.

The I need to figure out the code to get the parent field value(s).

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

It comes from the Script runner plugin. The documentation I send is from that plugin. There are examples of scripts in there and there are scripting experts here. Hope fully, one of those will help ;)

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Thanks. I will look at that plugin.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

But another question first: From some of my reading, it appears that I can enter code in a field's default "value" area. Would it be possible to write code there that would retrieve the parent's summary and/or description fields? How?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Details are in the docs. You can put an inline script which might be as simple as this:

issue.parentObject.summary

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

I need to read up on this more. I need the doc BEFORE the doc you referenced.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

There is a breadcrumb on the top. Anyways, see https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

Suggest an answer