Copy to Subtasks plugin working for custom fields. But how do I do the same for standard fields?

I have this plugin working now. But one field I wanted to copy to a subtask is 'Description.'

How can I do that so that the field is filled in when the user first creates the subtask?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes

Copy to Subtask supports only custom fields. It doesn't support standard fields as of now.

So what IS the way to copy standard fields?

Too bad. You would think that the standard fields would be easier to deal with.

It is, in normal cases but there was some blocker for that in this plugin - to get it prepopulated if I remember. There is a ticket to look at this in the newer version. Feel free to vote up.

https://j-tricks.atlassian.net/browse/JCTS-3

I voted.

What is that site? First time I have seen it.

That is JIRA OnDemand!

0 votes

George,

Have a look at "Set Field Value from Parent" post function in Misc Workflow Extensions Plugin. Worked for me for a few standard fields today.

I am already using that, but it only copies on a transition and only fields with the same name. What I am doing is a "bucket brigade." On creation I copy the subtask 'Description' to a temp subtask field, copy parent 'Description' to subtask 'Description,' then subtask 'Description' to my custom 'Parent Description' field, and finally the subtask temp field to subtask 'Description.'

But this is less than satisfactory, if for no other reason because a change in the parent 'Description' is not reflected in the subtasks.

What I really want is a feature like the one that lets me display the parent 'Summary' field in the subtask.

Go for a scripted field: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+Fields

Note that it wouldn't let you search. Just a display.

Thanks. Sounds good. But I don't see "Scripted Field" as a custom field choice described at the link.

The I need to figure out the code to get the parent field value(s).

It comes from the Script runner plugin. The documentation I send is from that plugin. There are examples of scripts in there and there are scripting experts here. Hope fully, one of those will help ;)

Thanks. I will look at that plugin.

But another question first: From some of my reading, it appears that I can enter code in a field's default "value" area. Would it be possible to write code there that would retrieve the parent's summary and/or description fields? How?

Details are in the docs. You can put an inline script which might be as simple as this:

issue.parentObject.summary

I need to read up on this more. I need the doc BEFORE the doc you referenced.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,870 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot