Copy project field to a custom field

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

I created a custom field titled Origin. It will be a read-only field on the view screen and I need to capture the name of the project or project key in which the issue was created within. This is important to retain as we want to move an issue from one project to another to make it easier for backlog management - but, the original project is critical for us to meet our ISO reporting requirements.

I tried to use a Post function that said to copy value from field Project to Origin (my origin is a text field; but, I also tried it with a select list of all the project names and keys as I wasn't sure what the Project field contained). The post function was done after the issue was created.

However, I get an error that it cannot copy fro Project to Origin.

Does anyone know how I can populate this custom field with either the Project Name or Project Key?

4 answers

0 votes
Stephan Bielmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

I tried the two following scenarios with JIRA 5.2 and JSU 1.3.4

1) CustomField ProjectPicker, Copy Field Value in Workflow, got project selected in that picker after transition

2) CustomField Read Only Text Field, Copy Field Value in Workflow, got project KEY in read only field after transition

This did work during issue creation and later on, for example on start progress.

Can you give more details about the error you get? Either what you see inside the browser or in the log files of JIRA?

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Using KEY won't work because it populates with ABC-123. However, I cannot create a query to locate any issues where origin ~ "ABC" as contains looks for entire words, not true contains text.

Unless someone knows how to use the Project field, looks like I have to create custom work flows for every project in order to populate the origin field with specific text like ABC. <sigh>

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Could this be an issue with the JIRA Utilities plugin? We are on JIRA version 5.2, JIRA Suites Utility version 1.3.4

0 votes
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

If I use Key as the source field, that will copy to Origin. However, I would prefer the Project Name as that makes more sense to users. Any ideas?

Suggest an answer