Copy parent issue custom field value into new sub-task

Brad Beaver June 3, 2012

Is there a way that when a sub-task is created it will copy the value of a custom field from the parent issue to the same custom field of the sub-task? I figured out how to automatically create a sub-task when a new issue is created and have the custom field value "copy" over to the sub-task. However, automatic sub-task creations are not the ideal workflow for us.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2012

Have a look at the 'Copy to Subtask' plugin. Might be useful.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/22274

Brad Beaver June 4, 2012

Thanks! Very useful.

Mithun Suresh February 11, 2016

I am taken to  "Oh, it seems that we've lost a page. Maybe you should raise an issue?" page. i am on JIRA v6.1.7. Is this not compatible?

Like kanaka prasad ponnuru likes this
Efrat Finkelman March 15, 2016

I also got a dead link when trying to configure it or click on the Create JCTS Sub-task on the menu. Un-installed it and still searching for an easy solution.

2 votes
4kk3 fe2u October 8, 2014

Help please!
We installed Jira 4.3.1.
"Copy to Subtask" does not work with Jira 4.3.1? What can be done? Thank you!

0 votes
Ashleigh_Friloux March 15, 2017

How did you automatically create a subtask when a new issue is created? im trying to figure that out now.

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Suggest an answer