Copy issues to a new project

Björn Thebbe April 10, 2017

Hello everybody,

i know this theme is asked again every year but I do not get it. I have created a completely new project in Jira. This project is a complex modification of an existing one. Workflows etc. are all new. Now I want to copy the issues from the old project to the new one and migrate the field contents accordingly.

We use radio buttons in a custom field in the old project. Now these buttons have become different issue types. Can this be migrated?

How can migrate the issues without new plugins?

I have already tried the various possibilities. HTML import, backup file but nothing has brought me further. CSV import won´t work because we have many texts with a comma and the csv file is comma seperated.

We are currently using Jira v7.2.3
Many thanks for the help.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

No, because it's a new project, and JIRA doesn't have a "copy project" function, as new projects are not expected to be copies of old ones.

You are going to have to come up with some work-around like a script that will duplicate the issues.  Or an export/import, although I can see you're struggling with that.

What I would be tempted to do is create a temporary development clone of the current system and then perform some surgery on it - delete the new project from it, and change the project key for the source project to that of the new project.  Change the other stuff you need to do (radio button to issue type, etc).  Then, export it again, and use "project import" in the old system to bring the edited version of the issues back into the new project.

Björn Thebbe April 10, 2017

Hello Nic,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the new project is very complex. Would it be possible to export the operations and edit them in Excel so that they can be imported into the new project? The user-defined fields have remained the same or are completely lost. I can also determine the process types quickly.

Thank you.

Suggest an answer