Copy Project to a new Project

Amir Rohani February 2, 2017

Hi,

I created a Project in JIRA SERVICE DESK (Cloud). I want to make a copy of this project to new one.

(need to duplicate current project with all the fields , database changes etc.. to a new project).

Please suggest

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

I'm afraid there is no "copy project" function.

If you create a new project though, and select "create using shared configuration" instead of one of the project templates, you can tell the new project to use the same schemes as the source project. This will at least get you the same configuration.

You might need to check the custom field contexts as well though, as it won't change those.

Hi Nic,

When I create a new Project "Create with Shared Configuration" it doesn't allow me to share with all other Projects. I can  select single project to Share the configuration.

Also  I can see Import a Project option available. But doesn't find How to export my current project.

I am looking to export my current project and import to a new Project.

import.png

Best Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2017

That's another story entirely.

The shared configuration is not supposed to share with "all other projects", that would be a disaster because you would stomp all over every other project's configuration.  The shared config says "use the same schemes as another project for my new one", which just means you're sharing the config.

There is no "project export" in JIRA.  The project import will take you to the importers which can take data from a variety of systems or files and create JIRA projects from them.

Hi Nic,

Thank you for the update.

My requirement is

I need to share certain fields like " Components", "Users" across all my projects.

Otherwise I need to update the fields manually in each and every project.

is it feasible to share the fields which we require to share across the project

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2017

Components is a system field, and it is deliberately project specific - a component in project A belongs to project A and does not appear in other projects.

You can, of course, create a multi-select custom field and make it global, that will give you the fields across all projects.

I don't know what "Users" might be, but again, a user-picker or multi-user picker with a global context is probably what you need.

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

Hi all ... Anyone found any route to do this? I will look at the Deep Clone add on but would like to try control this internal and possibly do this without an add on - either via the Interface or API? Anyone? Thanks in advance for new updates... 

Suggest an answer