Copy JIRA issues from one project server to different project server

James Brown April 13, 2017

Import existing issues in Project Cat on Server Test to Project Cat on Server Production with same exact configurations.

I currently have two server environments: Test, Production. My users would like to copy(not restore) all issues in Project Cat on Test Server to Project Cat on Production server. The projects have the same exact configurations, Fields, Workflows, etc. It looks like the only way currently is to backup Project Cat on Test Server to export Zip. Create a new project with same key on Production Server, then import Project A into new empty Project on Production server. After that use the bulk move function to move them to existing Project A.

I am also assuming I would need to change the project key for Project Cat on Test server so that I dont over write the existing issue in Project Cat on Production server...?

What would happen if I tried to import Project Cat issues from server A into Project Cat with existing issues on server B? Will Project Cat's issues be overwritten on server B?

1 answer

1 vote
Tom Harris April 14, 2017

Hi James,

To answer the final part of your question, JIRA will not allow you to import a project if there's an existing project on the target instance with the same key that contains issues.

You will see the following error:
"The existing project with key 'ABCD' contains '2' issues. You can not import a backup project into a project that contains existing issues."

If the project on the target instance is empty then you will be able to import the issues from your source instance.

The process you suggest of importing the issues into an empty project with a different key and then moving them to the desired project should work though!

James Brown April 24, 2017

From an auditing point of view this is a horrible practice of put it overthere to get it over there. Question then leads to "What else have you moved around and what are you hiding?"

Suggest an answer