Copy/Archive issues to another JIRA Instance

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

I have some data storage restrictions which require me to remove issues from my system that are over 6 weeks old. I would like to move these issues to an "archive" JIRA instance so that they can still be accessed by a specific set of users. Yes, I understand that this could also be done with managing project permissions, etc. However, this is not an acceptable solution for my client.

So, this leaves me with the issue of: How do I copy specific issues from one JIRA instance to another? I need to do this on a regular basis, so an easy method is preferable.

I've seen some old posts on this, and I even saw one about using JJupin (which I have) but it didn't give the details of how to do this.

I need the entire issue copied, including history, etc. Any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014

Project Importer requires a empty project. Your solution of importing to an empty project and then moving to archived project might work but seems like big overhead. And the project configurations must be the same and so you might end up having many empty projects just to facilitate the import.

You will have to write a custom solution to do this.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2014

As always, thanks for your insightful response Jobin. I agree it is overhead, and I am working on a custom solution. I will be testing the split soon. I believe I have most of the "overhead" covered with a SIL script to manage tagging and deleting the issues to archive.

My plan is to:

1. Tag the issues to archive
  2. Export backup from Main system
  3. Import backup to Staging Project in Archive System
  4. Move issues marked as Archive to Archive project
  5. Empty Staging Project for next archival iteration
  6. Erase archived issues from Main system.

Because the Main and Archive systems are copies, there shouldn't be many issues with this.

I can't think of a better solution because the Main and Archive systems are not allowed to "talk" to each other on the same network. Because of this, it will be a manual process (of some sort) to backup and import the issues with a file.

0 votes
DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

I've found a possible solution: Project Importer. Can anyone tell me if Project Importer will append issues to an existing project, or if it requires an empty project and will load in all issues? With Project Importer, I could use a staging area to import issues from the other JIRA instance and then move those issues into an archive project where they're all collected.

Suggest an answer