Converting two Select List fields into one Cascading field

ruppster-unicon November 26, 2012

We originally set up two separate fields as Select Lists but the right way of setting up what was wanted was just one Cascading field. We could add the cascading field to the screen along with the original fields and manually migrate the values from the old fields to that new cascading field but there are 1500 issues now so that would be tedious at best. And seems like we could do the first half of the cascading field with the Bulk change feature but not sure how that would work for the second half of the cascading field. Do you having any suggests or pointers that could help out in this situation?

3 answers

0 votes
ruppster-unicon November 28, 2012

Thanks Lathrop and Sebastian! I'll check with my customer and see if they want to try one of these options.

0 votes
Lathrop [PSU] November 26, 2012

I'm currently rebuilding a lot of projects with new standards that require changing a lot of field types. To handle this we are importing the issues to the new projects with the new field configurations. We are just mapping out the value ids of the old fields to the correct value ids of the new fields. Could you do something similiar by just exporting the 1500 tickets then reimporting them? If you have linked tickets this will be more difficult since ticket numbers will change. You also have to go back and delete the original 1500 tickets or you would have duplicates.

I can think a few manual ways to do this as well. The best would be finding out what all the possible combinations are for the two field values, finding which tickets have which combiniations and then mass edit each combination from a filtered result. Very manual, but will save you time over a ticket by ticket if you don't have many values in each field.

0 votes
Sebastian Lüdtke November 26, 2012

Hello Gregory,

maybe the Function "Copy custom field values from one field to another" of the Script Runner-plugin may help you: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Lathrop [PSU] November 26, 2012

That sounds way easier! I'll have to take a look at this as well.

Suggest an answer