Converting issues to subtasks (vice versa) and creating subtasks

Marcel Plomp (inactive) June 23, 2014

Creating a subtask is only possible for engineers as we have a special permission on the create step in the workflow for the subtask issue type.

We want to enable the menu-option for converting issues to subtask (as we disabled it some time ago). However: users are not allowed to use this option (as to rule number 1 above)

As converting an issue to a subtask is not the same as creating a subtask, all user can use this menu-option.

Is there a way to prevent this form happening?

3 answers

0 votes
Marcel Plomp (inactive) June 26, 2014

I've checked with the engineers. It seems that turning the menu-option back on again, is not a problem.

We now use an Agile Workflow for issues and sub-task with the same statusses. For handling an issue is does not matter if it is an issue or a sub-task as the workflows are the same.

We only have to look out for special functionality regarding Srum Boards as open sub-tasks will not show up on the board when the parent is already closed (that means, has a resolution) and the related sprint is finished.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2014

Hi Marcel,

This is not possible out of the box, you'll probably need to change the JIRA source code or write your own plugin to get this to work.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

Hi Marcel,

I am afraid it is not possible out of the box. For jira converting a sub-task to task is same as creating new task.

Vijay.

Marcel Plomp (inactive) June 24, 2014

Hi Vijay,

I'm sure this is not correct. When I convert a subtask to an issue, the total number of issues stays the same.

Actually your not creating anything only converting it to another issue type. It is almost the same as moving an issue in a project to another issue type (i.e changing a bug to a change request). The difference is that you cannot move an issue like bug to issue type subtask. To do that the "converting option" was invented.

So the answer to my question remains....

Rgds,

Marcel

Suggest an answer