Converting from default DBs to MySQLs for both JIRA&Confluence

Joseph P. Arellano May 15, 2015

After reviewing the documentation, Atlassian recommends binary logging format of “ROW”.  The default in MySQL is “STATEMENT” but we use binary logging format of “MIXED” which should be able to support both “ROW” and “STATEMENT” types of formats.  Is using “MIXED”  a supported configuration?

1 answer

0 votes
Alicia Pena May 15, 2015

We use one MySQL instance with 5 different databases for our Atlassian tools, which include JIRA and confluence.  It's worked great out of the box (standard defaults), with the exception of these few minor steps: 

Install mysql  

sudo vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf and edit bind-address=0.0.0.0

chown mysql:mysql /var/run/mysqld/

service mysql start

login to mysql:   $mysql -u root –p

mysql> SET GLOBAL storage_engine = 'InnoDB';               

mysql> CREATE DATABASE <dbname> CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON <dbname>.* TO '<tooluser>'@'<ipaddress>' IDENTIFIED  BY '<password>';

Put the mysql java connector on the application server.  (You can download it from the web).  <installationdirectory>/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.23-bin.jar

If you monitor the logs you'll get warnings and recommendations for how to further tweek it if necessary.  But the above simple setup has been running fine for us for several years without any issues.

On a side note: Atlassian has moved the mysql*.jar location in stash 3.8.0 to live under $STASH_HOME/lib (also moved its server.xml file to a home location).  I'm not sure if other Atlassian tools will follow suit in future releases, but keep a look out for a possible new location for the mysql*.jar.  I look forward to these changes because it's helpful to have the configuration files under home instead of the inst so your customizations won't get over written during upgrades.

Suggest an answer