Converting JIRA sub-tasks to parent issues

Geoffrey Moes August 22, 2012

Currently, the business owner has a series of parent issues that have large numbers of software defects logged as sub-tasks of these parent issues. Now that the software is out of development, they want these subtasks to follow the standard defect ticket flow. Is there any way to convert these sub-tasks to defects? Using the Move function only yields the option to change the sub-tasks to different types of sub-tasks. I can't actually make them independent parent tickets.

3 answers

1 accepted

25 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2012

Under options, there should be a "convert to issue" (Conversely, on parent types, you should see "convert to sub-task")

Geoffrey Moes August 22, 2012

Can this be done in bulk, or only on an individual ticket basis?

Kevin McClennen October 24, 2012

Thank you Nic. I also would like to know if this bulk migration is possible since I will be doing the same thing this weekend. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2012

It's single issue at a time I'm afraid.

Kevin McClennen October 24, 2012

It is what it is I guess. Thanks again Nic. Feelsbadman.jpg

Deleted user January 8, 2015

This option is not available for our Developers, although it is available to the Administrator. I cannot find a permission that grants a "Convert" action... Any ideas? (This is in Cloud 6.3).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2015

Do your developers have "edit" rights on the issues?

Deleted user January 3, 2018

Thanks this works.

What is super confusing is that if you try to EDIT a Subtask, it says this (see screenshot) next to the Issue Type. 
JiraSubtask.png

So you click on the "moving" link and then you can't move the issue to a different type, because it only allows you to move it to a different type of "sub-task" which makes no sense. Are there multiple types of sub-task? No, so it then says N/A next to that option. 

JIRAmovesubtask.png

I think this message should be removed. Like most of Jira, the Ux is all over the place and finding where you need to go to do certain tasks takes a lot of Googling and not user-discoverable at all. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

It does sort of make sense when you get the underlying structure, but if you were to say "it is worded really badly in the UI and counter-intuitive everywhere it is explained", I'd completely agree.

Deleted user January 3, 2018

Maybe, but I am of the opinion that users shouldn't need to know the underlying structure, beyond high level workflow, in order to use a UI.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

Oh I agree, definitely.  I was just saying that when you do have  knowledge, you can see how Jira ended up doing it this way.  But it's badly worded and presented to the users, forcing them to either learn the structure, or learn a clunky routine.

Deleted user January 4, 2018

I see your point. I think the general problem is programming driven design. Perhaps business analyst driven design. Maybe it is the challenge of trying to find where to bolt on new features in what was originally well designed but has become cluttered. Its not easy.

Walt Harper July 16, 2018

The "convert to issue" is not showing up on my colleagues menu...I've looked everywhere to figure out why...she's also an system admin as am I. Why would this not be an option for her, when it is for me?

Like Jonas Eberle likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

Do you have edit and create permission in the project?  (Admin rights are rightly separated from project permissions and irrelevant here)

So I was thinking the same thing...I thought it may be Project > Settings > People. But I gave her both Project Permissions of Project administrator and Developer (we are very small), however it still does not show up in the menu, even after refreshing and log out/in again.

So I've figured out that it's missing on the New Jira Issue View. Discovered when she went to Personal Settings and toggled OFF the New Jira Issue View, the "Convert to Issue" shows up with the same menu as mine. @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thank you for the help, and apologies for the multiple threads.

Like # people like this
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

@Walt Harper I found https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70037 if you want to vote for it.

Like Deb Hanrahan likes this
Jason Lobo October 31, 2018

Thank you, @Walt Harper

I switched to old view and I found it.

Like James Schmidt likes this
jacinda agantovich December 10, 2018

I voted for this because you CAN'T take these features away

Jonas Eberle January 28, 2019

Wow, thanks for the info that "convert to task" does not work in our default view.

I voted here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70037

Like Deleted user likes this
James Schmidt April 10, 2019

Thanks all. Had to switch to old view to find it in the menu.

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
Deleted user July 21, 2016

Hi,

The bulk migration can be done following the below steps:

1. Prepare the CSV with only issue with Key, Summary and Issuetype fields.
2. Import the issue using CSV import. Please refer to the below link if you are not across:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-csv-802592885.html

3. You have to check the 'Map field value' field in 'Map fields' screen for the 'issue type' field.
4. Map the subtasks to the parent issue types.

Regards,
Auro.

0 votes
Geoffrey Moes October 24, 2012

Yes. I did not find a solution and advised my users to get their mouses clicking.

Suggest an answer