Convert Remaining Estimate time from Milliseconds to hours/days

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Hi, 

I am using the java api to get remaining estimate time from an issue and all its linked issues. 
Following is the api I am using with the method getEstimate()

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/7.1.9/com/atlassian/jira/issue/Issue.html#getEstimate--

This returns me the time in milliseconds, but not as expected. 

For e.g. if an issue has remaining estimate of 1 days, it would return that as equivalent of 28800 milliseconds. 

I want to know if there is a conversion formula for this? 
because right now it seems that 1 day = 28800 ms, which cannot be correct (mathematically)

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

Hi Muhammad

Just to correct you, the API returns many time based values in seconds, not milliseconds.

It is also based on how many hours your set up of Jira has for a day e.g. we've set the day as 8.5 hours, so 1 day would return 8.5 * 3600 = 30600 seconds (where 3600 is 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute).

If you're getting 28800 seconds, that is equivalent to an 8 hour day.

I hope this helps

Warren

Suggest an answer