Control Workflow Permissions only through conditions or validators?

Annastashia Cambridge January 15, 2013

I've just realised that any user (in fact I have anon users who can browse projects) can see and use the workflow buttons on all of my tickets that they can see. Is the only way to control this, ie; to stop anon users or the non assigned user, from being able to do this, to add the permission condition that only the assignable user can execute the transition, on ALL of my workflows and ALL of my transitions?

I'm hoping not :) thats a lot of work to set up/re-configure!

Love to know what others have done or if I've just completely missed something obvious.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Annastashia Cambridge January 19, 2013

I'm going to log a feature request for a control or controls to be added at the permission scheme level, so when set you can control who can 'use' the workflows, overridden only by the conditions/validators used in actual workflows if they exist. A little bit like in Bamboo, you can have global variables, which are overridden only by plan variables if they exist. :)

Anders Reske August 5, 2013

Hi Annastashia,

Did you create this request. I have just come to the same realisation as you, which annoys me greatly. If you provide a link to the request I would be happy to vote it :-)

BR
Anders

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

I think I saw it when it was created, and I think Atlassian closed it as "won't fix", because the conditions already exist.

Hmm, that sucks.
I cant see why an anonomous user should be able to do anything other than seeing the issues when he only has the browse project permission.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

Because you need to put conditions on workflow transitions. It's valid to have none, sometimes you do want anonymous users to be able to do things.

It's really a useful thing to have even more complex globalised attitudes, it's simply not needed - the system already supports what is being asked for and making administration even more complex than it already is is not what Atlassian seems to want to do.

However, I would strongly support having defaults set on any new transition, so that an administrator has to consciously decide to remove them, rather than unconciously forget (or not know) to add them.

Point taken - and the default setting would be nice.

thanks Nic

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

You should link to the issue you created, I would vote it up.

I take Nic's point, but if you had a general permission "Move items through the workflow", you could easily lock it down to developers or whatever. If you wanted more specific conditions you could just add Anyone to that permission, then use workflow conditions.

I am a reasonably experienced jira administrator, yet this still catches me out.

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2013

Hi there

Yes you have miss out thing which is setting the Condition for Transition : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Applyingconditionstotransitions

You can refer on the JIRA's built-in conditions that will only allow certain condition for example: only allow issue's assignee or reporter to execute the transition.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers

Hi yes, many thanks I ssaw that as a solution and have tried that, but it means a lot of work as I have go through and add this to all of my transitions across all of the workflows. I was wondering if there is any alternate, any higher level I can apply it to rather than at the transition by transition level? :)

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2013

From my understanding, unfortunately i guess this is the only way to do it by applying it on all the workflow transition that you wan to have condition.

thank you :)

Suggest an answer