Contextual (right-click) menu totally missing from Backlog view for Scrum board

Carlton McFarlane December 29, 2017

Hey guys!

I have a board that we've been using for some time. There was functionality present in the backlog view that has now disappeared from this board, even though it is still present on other boards.

When I right-click (or ctrl+left-click) on an issue in the backlog, I usually see a helpful contextual menu that allows me to bulk change, send to another sprint, etc. This menu has stopped appearing.

Even though I'm an administrator, I thought this might be a permissions thing, but wasn't able to find an answer using the permission helper. Anyone know what might be causing this and how to restore the contextual menu functionality to this board?

Thanks in advance!

Carlton

2 answers

0 votes
Nicholas Ridout June 26, 2018

I've got a similar issue that I think might be the same issue - the right click menu is appearing, but usually somewhere off the top of the screen - when I right click items in the list that are close to the bottom of my screen I can see the bottom of the right click menu coming out from under the top nav - as I click up the list it moves up until it has completely disappeared. This is in chrome. I tried Edge and got a similar issue with the top nav menu drop downs themselves, I could see the 'drop shadow' of the bottom of the menus just below the nav item I click but nothing else, only on some of the navs and not others.

Carlton McFarlane December 28, 2018

Thanks for pitching in, @Nicholas Ridout. Sorry I didn't notice before.

This is a slightly separate issue, which I also experience this on the board that works. I have to use scrolling to make the menu visible and sometimes there aren't enough items in the backlog to give me enough of a scroll, so I can't use the items at the bottom of the menu.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2018

Is this Jira Software Cloud or Jira Software Server?  If Server, please let us know what version of Jira Software you are using.   There have been some changes to both cloud and server in regards to the right click menu options that might appear on boards and backlogs, so it is possible that this was a feature that existed in a past version that might have been removed in a more recent version.

If we can determine your platform and version number, from there I can try to help locate if there is an existing bug that we have in relation to this menu changes.

Thanks,

Andy

Carlton McFarlane January 8, 2018

Many thanks for your reply, @Andy Heinzer. We are using a Jira Software Cloud instance.

The right-click menu still works/on other boards, but not the main board where we need it most (and have always used it).

Would be grateful to hear any ideas you have about why it might have disappeared.

Thanks,

C

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

Hi Carlton,

I created a similar bug back in October from another customer report of a related problem.  It might help to take a look at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16335

It seems that in that case the problem was a change to this context menu on the active sprint board.  When you say the "main board"  Are you also referring to the active sprint board?   I am just wanting to see if this bug ticket is the same problem you are having or perhaps this is only partially related to the problem you are reporting here.

It might also help me to see a screenshot of where you see this problem.  With Jira Cloud there are a number of different kinds of boards between scrum/kanban, and even the newer Jira Core boards.  Each of these are slightly different in their from, function, as well as which specific Jira product provides these features (scrum and kanban are from Jira Software, whereas the Core boards are specific to Jira Core).

Please let me know

Andy

Carlton McFarlane April 20, 2018

Hi @Andy Heinzer

Sorry for the delayed response.

We have three sprints running at once - one for each of our teams -> UI, API and data. We have a "main" board which is the one we started with, and then there is a separate front-end board, which duplicates it. They use the same project filters in board setting and are both scrum boards.

From either of the boards, we have the options to change which sprint we see on the board.

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 15.37.48.png

I have noticed that, in backlog view, if I am on the front-end board, I have the right-click contextual menu. But not on the "main" board.

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 15.42.45.png

Is there a specific setting you've found that might cause this?

Carlton McFarlane December 28, 2018

@Andy Heinzer resurrecting this one after some time. any thoughts or possible explanations?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2019

Hi Carlton,

Sorry for the missed response.   I can't seem to quite recreate your screenshots in my Jira Cloud instance.  I'm not sure if this is because of changes to Jira Cloud since your previous post, or perhaps there is something different in your Cloud site than mine.

In your active sprints view, I don't currently see a quick filter to show the specific sprint.  I am curious if maybe this is something added by the Agile Poker plugin you appear to be running or some other plugin to your site.

However I also can't recreate the missing "Send to sprint" option in your 2nd backlog screenshot. I went as far as to create 11 active sprints in the same board to see if there maybe was some limit to displaying these.   But in my test, it appears to work correctly. 

Hence I think it might be best to create a support request with our Cloud support team to further investigate this behavior.   It does not appear to be what I would expect to see here, so maybe there is something wrong here.

I would be happy to create this support request on your behalf, however I see that your account appears to have more than one Cloud site associated with your email address.  So I'm not sure what Cloud URL you are using when you see this problem.  However if you go to https://support.atlassian.com select technical problem, and enter your Jira Cloud URL, you should be able to create a support request provided that you are the technical contact for that Cloud site.  If you have any problems with doing this please let me know.

Andy

Suggest an answer