Constant SQL queries

Jeremy Stewart May 9, 2013

We use SQL Server to host our JIRA db (now on 2012, was 2008 previously). We never really noticed a performance issue with SQL Server before but a problem unrelated to JIRA caused us to do a performance analysis on our db server. I noticed that JIRA is constantly making calls into the database on the order of once every few ms and makes the logs hard to process, it is always simple queries:

1) SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

2) IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0 COMMIT TRAN
SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS OFF

3) select 1

Is this normal? I ran across this question and answer and modified the dbconfig but have not yet restarted the service because it's production hours. Will that take care of 1&2? I know from experience that #3 is more of just a ping to see if the server is alive and the db is accessible. Is there a way to make that happen less often? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

Hi Jeremy,

This is normal and JIRA needs to constantly ping its database to ensure that it's still available. I'm sorry to say that I'm also not aware of any way of reducing the number of times or the time it makes those checks, so instead I would look at a different method of reviewing your SQL Server logs such as using a tool like grep to search and filter the contents of the logging.

All the best,
John

Jeremy Stewart May 12, 2013

Thanks for the answer. It's not a big problem since I can filter it out and it's not going to cause any performance issues, but at first glance it certainly did not look like expected behavior considering how frequently it was happening.

Just for reference I did change the connection string in the dbconfig as noted in the original post. I also updated the jtds jar in the lib folders to more recent versions (1.2.7 for JIRA and 1.3.0 for Confluence since they use Java 1.6 and 1.7 respectively). Neither of those two modifications had any impact on this particular issue.

Suggest an answer