Connector for visual studio 2013 fails to authenticate

Antonio Amaral March 10, 2015

I installed Atlassian Connector for Visual Studio 2013 a few days ago. Everything was working fine but 2 days ago the connector stopped authentication with JIRA online.

If I click the url in the Project Configuration dialog I can log on without any problems on the browser but the connector always gives the error "Failed to connect to the server .... The remote returned an error: (401) Unauthorized". The full exception message is:

Failed to connect to server "Jira online"

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.<br><br>Url: https://qualtechsoftware.atlassian.net/rest/auth/1/session<br>Data: {"username":"------------------","password":"--------"}<br>Response: {"errorMessages":["Login failed"],"errors":{}}<br>

System.Net.WebException

at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.RestClient.jsonOpNoRetry(String method, String tgtUrl, Object json, HttpStatusCode expectedCode)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.RestClient.restLogin()
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.RestJiraServerFacade.login(JiraServer server)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.<>c__DisplayClass2.<login>b__0(JiraServer param0)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.delegatedVoid(JiraServer server, DelegateVoid rest, DelegateVoid classic)
at Atlassian.plvs.api.jira.facade.SmartJiraServerFacade.login(JiraServer server)
at Atlassian.plvs.dialogs.jira.TestJiraConnection.testConnection()

Anyone has any ideas where I can look to find any possible miss-configuration or what I can try to make it work?

Thanks

Tony

3 answers

0 votes
Ian_Leeder August 6, 2015

Well I just got this working!  The trick is to find the actual username, not necessarily the login you use for Jira.  You login, and create users, by email address.  But a username is created for you, that is only visible from user administration.  That username (in my case "admin") was all I needed to get the VS connector working.

0 votes
Ian_Leeder August 5, 2015

Me too.  I know from the discontinuation announcement that Atlasssian won't respond to this now, but do any other users have anything to contribute?  Is the 2013 VS connector working for anyone else?  FWIW I'm trying to authenticate against JIRA Cloud (hosted), and getting the exact same error as Antonio.  I am 100% confident that the username/password entered are correct, as copying and pasting them from the error into the login page works fine.

0 votes
Paladin April 12, 2015

Having the exact same problem, anyone has any advice?

Suggest an answer