Connecting to MSSQL DB with Windows Authentication.

Help Desk May 31, 2016

I am unable to authenticate a Windows User with our MS SQL DB. I've already tried the unsupported work around however after adding the Domain, useNTLMv2, and Instance to the dbconfig.xml file does not work. I recently upgraded from v5.2.4 to v7.1.7. I was able to connect to my MSSQL DB in v5.2.4 however in the new version I get an Error in my log that states.

JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [NoModule] Error getting datasource via DBCP: JdbcDatasourceInfo{uri='jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://DBSERVERNAME:Port#/jira;
Domain=My.Domain.Name;
useNTLMv2=True', driverClassName='net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver', username='DOMAIN\user', password='********',

Any help on getting authentication to work for MSSQL DB would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Help Desk June 3, 2016

I was actually able to completed this by changing the "Domain=My.Domain.Name" to "Domain=My" using the short name for the Domain and removing the "DOMAIN\user" and just using the username seems to work. The problem I'm having now is my dbconfig.xml file has plain text passwords that I do not like having there but JIRA will not start unless the fields are populated with a username and password.  For now I am just restricting access to the dbconfig.xml file but I think Atlassian should consider being more Security minded when developing their Software. XML files with plain-text user/pass is TERRIBLE practice.

Suggest an answer