Connect multiple clients to the same database

Erick Cavazos December 20, 2016

I have an instance created in SQL Server on my server, inside this, I have created a database named "Jira Service Desk".

From a client computer I installed Jira Service Desk, during the installation it asks me where I have my hosted database, which I give the configurations of my server and the equipment is connected correctly, in the database of the server creates the corresponding tables .

The problem comes when I want to install Jira Service Desk on a second client. I get to the section where I ask to which database I want to connect, I put the same data and I get an error saying that the database is not empty, which will not let me continue.

I need more than 5 users to connect to the same database to control the incidents that are dealt with in the company and that each incident is generated continuously (user 1 - ticket 1, user 1 - ticket 2, user 2 - ticket 3, etc.)

What can I do?

3 answers

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2016

Hi Erick

Based on your question and your current experience with the product, I highly recommend consulting with one of the Atlassian Solution Partners. https://www.atlassian.com/experts

They can help you get a better understanding of the products, installation, configuration and best practices.

Thanks

Bhushan

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2016

NO!  Never connect more than one JIRA Server to a database. 

You absolutely can not do that.  Your ideas of separation are completely wrong and you need to be doing that in the application.  I'm not sure where you might have got the idea that you can even do this.

JIRA is a server - your clients are browsers and systems connecting to the single server over REST.

Okay, I see. So how can I make the technical support team to access the database and see the current incidents, in progress, etc?

We have not used the services of Jira before, so we do not know many of the concepts.

What you tell me is

- Create a Database in SQL
- Install Jira (software, core or service desk) on the server.
- Connect Jira to the server database.

that's it?

How will my technical support team access jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2016

You run JIRA as a service, as it's intended.  Then your support team have accounts for it, and well, they use it.

It's the same as you're doing here, or when you have an email service or google or or or or almost any other standard web server application you can find.

I've already said you use a browser to connect to it.

Ok, in the case of customers who have contracted our support services, how do they access our support services? How can they consult us?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2016

A browser.

It is a web application, as we've said several times before.  What else were you expecting?

(Although it can take data from feeds, emails, and other systems, of course)

According to what you say, I suppose that in my server I must have assigned a public ip so that the clients can connect with our technical support team, right?

Or is it enough just to enter the website of atlassian and my server is registered in automatic?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2016

As you are clearly installing the server version, then yes, if you want to have it out on the internet for general access, you will need an ip address for it. 

There are other ways to do it - most of us with that model will be running JIRA as part of a website, not the whole thing, so we run the server, and other servers for other parts of the site, behind a proxy, load balancer or firewall.  One ip-address, many services on sub-urls.

The other option for running JIRA is to use Atlassian Cloud.  They run all of it for you on <yourchoice>.atlassian.net and you don't have to worry about installing anything.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2016

This sounds strange – You do not deploy JIRA applications to clients. You host JIRA applications on a server, connect the server to the database, and then users/clients access JIRA through a web-browser. Can you please confirm that you are approaching it this way?

Okay, I see. So how can I make the technical support team to access the database and see the current incidents, in progress, etc?

We have not used the services of Jira before, so we do not know many of the concepts.

What we have done is

- Create a Database in SQL Server
- Install Jira (software, core or service desk) on the server.
- Connect Jira to the server database.

it is right?

How will my technical support team access jira?

Suggest an answer