Connect JIRA to SQL Server 2008 error

Pavel Khvostov October 27, 2013

I'm trying to connect Jira to database on SQL server 2008.

When I finish the whole sequence of steps in the JIRA walkthrough ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2008 ) I get this message in my "Jira Configuration Tool" window: "Could not connect to the DB": error connection using login "jiradbuser"

What am I doing wrong?

11 answers

1 vote

0 votes
Pavel Khvostov October 30, 2013

problem solved.

Trouble was with autentification type in SQL server.

Thanks

richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2013

Pavel, good to hear that, can you please help to accept this answer for the community to benefit from it?

You can also provide more information on the authentication type being configured so that someone searching the similar problem will be able to find the solution by you ;)

0 votes
Pavel Khvostov October 29, 2013

Hi, Peter

first 4 comments with the screenshots are mine

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

Hi Pavel,

Did you actually create a user called jiradbuser in the SQL Server database and has this user all the necessary access rights?

Take a look here for more information : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2008

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes

2013-10-30 14:38:57,861 main ERROR [atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: java.sql.SQLException: Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser".
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.util.UpgradeUtils.tableExists(UpgradeUtils.java:127)
at com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.databaseSetup(MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.java:49)
at com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.isOk(MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.java:30)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.doStartupChecks(JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.java:65)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.startupOK(JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseChecklistLauncher.start(DatabaseChecklistLauncher.java:35)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$2.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:90)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:250)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseConfigured(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:155)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:85)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.access$100(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:24)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$1.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:61)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:33)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:56)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:68)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:63)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.get(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:121)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.onTenantStart(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:165)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:134)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:131)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.runForEachListener(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:256)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startTenant(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:130)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startAll(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:203)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextInitialized(LauncherContextListener.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser".
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:368)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2820)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2258)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.login(TdsCore.java:603)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:357)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:185)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.tryGenericConnectionSources(ConnectionFactory.java:87)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.transaction.JNDIFactory.getConnection(JNDIFactory.java:146)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.TransactionFactory.getConnection(TransactionFactory.java:101)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.getConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:59)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizConnectionFactory.getConnection(DefaultOfBizConnectionFactory.java:28)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.util.UpgradeUtils.tableExists(UpgradeUtils.java:100)
... 38 more

--------------------------------------------------

Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser" = Error enter user "jiradbuser"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

I am stuck because the error message you are getting is in Cyrillic and I can't translate it to the actual error message. It's not "Error enter user".

I suspect it is more along the lines of "Error authenticating user", which means you've got the wrong username and/or password, but I don't know. The rest of the stack trace is consistent with that error, but also with it being able to authenticate the user, but the user not having full permissions on the database.

0 votes

My English is not so far from your Cyrillic =)

It seems, that I've confused something...

In here 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA' I've got 'dbconfig.xml' :

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>mssql</database-type>
<schema-name>jiraschema</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://10.34.0.26:1433/jiradb</url>
<driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
<username>jiradbuser</username>
<password>12345678</password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>

<validation-query>select 1</validation-query>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>60000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>300000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>

<pool-test-while-idle>true</pool-test-while-idle>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

ang here's what i get in my browser with 'http://localhost:8081/secure/Dashboard.jspa':

HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

description The requested resource () is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.32

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

That's consistent with it being unable to reach the database.

Could you tell us what the log file says? There will be error messages in there telling us what is wrong with the database connection settings.

0 votes

The answers - is my own! Its just screenshots.

I haven't done the connection

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

I have to apologise for my lack of understanding Cyrillic in your screenshots.

Your original question says "Could not connect to the DB": error connection using login "jiradbuser"", but that seems to be missing the actual details. "error connection using <account>" is not what we'd expect, it would be more like "error logging in with this account" or "unable to establish a network connection".

I'm really stuck on translating the error, is it really as generic and vague as it sounds?

0 votes

0 votes

0 votes

0 votes

Suggest an answer