Connect JIRA to SQL Server 2008 error

I'm trying to connect Jira to database on SQL server 2008.

When I finish the whole sequence of steps in the JIRA walkthrough ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2008 ) I get this message in my "Jira Configuration Tool" window: "Could not connect to the DB": error connection using login "jiradbuser"

What am I doing wrong?

11 answers

The answers - is my own! Its just screenshots.

I haven't done the connection

I have to apologise for my lack of understanding Cyrillic in your screenshots.

Your original question says "Could not connect to the DB": error connection using login "jiradbuser"", but that seems to be missing the actual details. "error connection using <account>" is not what we'd expect, it would be more like "error logging in with this account" or "unable to establish a network connection".

I'm really stuck on translating the error, is it really as generic and vague as it sounds?

My English is not so far from your Cyrillic =)

It seems, that I've confused something...

In here 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA' I've got 'dbconfig.xml' :

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>mssql</database-type>
<schema-name>jiraschema</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://10.34.0.26:1433/jiradb</url>
<driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
<username>jiradbuser</username>
<password>12345678</password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>

<validation-query>select 1</validation-query>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>60000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>300000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>

<pool-test-while-idle>true</pool-test-while-idle>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

ang here's what i get in my browser with 'http://localhost:8081/secure/Dashboard.jspa':

HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

description The requested resource () is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.32

That's consistent with it being unable to reach the database.

Could you tell us what the log file says? There will be error messages in there telling us what is wrong with the database connection settings.

2013-10-30 14:38:57,861 main ERROR [atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: java.sql.SQLException: Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser".
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.util.UpgradeUtils.tableExists(UpgradeUtils.java:127)
at com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.databaseSetup(MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.java:49)
at com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.isOk(MinimumUpgradableVersionCheck.java:30)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.doStartupChecks(JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.java:65)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.startupOK(JiraDatabaseConfigChecklist.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseChecklistLauncher.start(DatabaseChecklistLauncher.java:35)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$2.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:90)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:250)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseConfigured(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:155)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:85)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.access$100(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:24)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher$1.run(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:61)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:33)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:56)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:68)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener$1.create(LauncherContextListener.java:63)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.get(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:121)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.onTenantStart(MultiTenantComponentMapImpl.java:165)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:134)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager$1.consume(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:131)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.runForEachListener(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:256)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startTenant(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:130)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.impl.DefaultMultiTenantManager.startAll(DefaultMultiTenantManager.java:203)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextInitialized(LauncherContextListener.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser".
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:368)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2820)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2258)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.login(TdsCore.java:603)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:357)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:185)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.tryGenericConnectionSources(ConnectionFactory.java:87)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.transaction.JNDIFactory.getConnection(JNDIFactory.java:146)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.TransactionFactory.getConnection(TransactionFactory.java:101)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.getConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:59)
at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizConnectionFactory.getConnection(DefaultOfBizConnectionFactory.java:28)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.util.UpgradeUtils.tableExists(UpgradeUtils.java:100)
... 38 more

--------------------------------------------------

Ошибка входа пользователя "jiradbuser" = Error enter user "jiradbuser"

I am stuck because the error message you are getting is in Cyrillic and I can't translate it to the actual error message. It's not "Error enter user".

I suspect it is more along the lines of "Error authenticating user", which means you've got the wrong username and/or password, but I don't know. The rest of the stack trace is consistent with that error, but also with it being able to authenticate the user, but the user not having full permissions on the database.

Hi Pavel,

Did you actually create a user called jiradbuser in the SQL Server database and has this user all the necessary access rights?

Take a look here for more information : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2008

Best regards,

Peter

Hi, Peter

first 4 comments with the screenshots are mine

problem solved.

Trouble was with autentification type in SQL server.

Thanks

Richie Gee Atlassian Team Nov 04, 2013

Pavel, good to hear that, can you please help to accept this answer for the community to benefit from it?

You can also provide more information on the authentication type being configured so that someone searching the similar problem will be able to find the solution by you ;)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

120 views 4 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you