Confluence links not showing up on new issue view

Andrew Waegel December 18, 2017

Hello,

New Jira/Confluence cloud use here. When I switch to that new issue view in Jira, the one with the popup modal, I lose the links to the confluence docs that i used to see in the old issue detail view (the one that comes in from the right side).

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Andrew

8 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2018

Hi everyone, I want to provide an update related to this feature.

As we have been rolling out the new issue view (it's not out to everyone just yet), we have continued to build up the functionality. There is a lot there, but we are getting close to feature parity!

One of these items is the confluence pages being shown on the new issue view. Unfortunately, there were a few other items that we needed to build before we got to this, which is why it took so long. 

It is currently on our near-term roadmap and will be released soon, we are finishing a few other things then starting on it. For this, we will be providing all of the old capabilities and making it much easier to add confluence pages from a Jira issue.

• Jira issues referenced in a confluence page will show up automatically on the issue view.
  • You will be able to quickly 'add confluence pages' from the new Jira issue via the quick add buttons. This will allow you to search in-line for the confluence page and link it together.

We very much appreciate taking the time to share your feedback and being patient with this.

- Taylor Pechacek, PM Jira Cloud

Mike Doolittle October 10, 2018

Thanks for the update, Taylor. That's great news.

Not to diverge too much from the original topic of this question but will your next update also reenable our ability to add external-links to Jira issues? (e.g.: linking to an Atlassian Support Ticket from within our jira instances)

In the non-beta jira-issue-view, we can link to (a) jira issues, (b) confluence pages, and (c) external web pages.  This functionality is important to us.

Regards,

Mike

Like # people like this
Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2018

Hey @Mike Doolittle, we have a lot of surface area on the new issue view and are still working through things. After confluence pages, we will definitely be looking at external-links.

However, our first starting point would be to display external-links added via the API, not manually by the user (the old modal as you mentioned had this option). 

Would you mind sharing why you need the external-links to Jira issues for atlassian support tickets, when you could just use the 'linked issues' functionality?

Or you could add it in the description / comments as a pasted URL.

If you want to email me directly or DM here, we can discuss in more detail privately. My email is tpechacek@atlassian.com. Cheers!

Miklos Gyalog October 26, 2018

I have a use case whereby I link to a spreadsheet on onedrive.

• Attaching is no good as the spreadsheet changes over time.
  • Comment is inconvenient because it could be comment #20 out of #50, and not easy to find.
  • I suppose I could add the link to the description, but just like with the comments, it could also be obscured by the rest of the content in the case of a larger ticket.

The old external link feature just fits these kinds of needs quite comfortably.

Like # people like this
Jay Huggins February 26, 2019

@Taylor  What is the status of this feature? I cannot seem to find any way to get the Confluence Issue Link to show up in the New Issue View.

Thanks.

Rita Snodgrass March 22, 2019

@Taylor_Pechacek Some use cases for linking to external things:

• We moved to Jira and Service desk from another system. We have a need to link to things that are related that are in that old system.
  • Google docs: We frequently use Google docs as a part of our processes, Google sheets in particular.
Like # people like this
Ian Kenney April 25, 2019

I also have the same use case for attaching links to google docs on onedrive docs to an issue.

I have also noticed that the new issue view does not show any existing external links on issues - we have many hundreds of issues with such links and would be extremely disappointed to loose all this information when switching to the new issue view.  

Are there plans to implement this feature ?

Like # people like this
akeys June 5, 2019

Yes, same deal at our place.  We use the external link to take people to a Sharepoint document library, to allow us to collaborate on all our projects.  The attachment option is great for stuff that remains unchanged, but when working on a document or spreadie that changes over time, it's much more useful to do it by way of the external link.

Like B T!g4e likes this
Zoltán Lehóczky June 27, 2019

Just wanted to add that we use external links to e.g. add links to GitHub issues (under open source projects related to a closed source project we manage in JIRA), Basecamp to-dos or other resources, external documentation (like MSDN pages).

I do hope we don't have to explain too much why we use a feature built into JIRA I'd assume got introduced at the time after considering how useful it would be :).

Also, in the future please don't outright enable beta features for users when things like this are still missing: all of our users got this new issue view while external links not existing is a significant breaking change for us.

Like # people like this
Zoltán Lehóczky August 19, 2019

Any news on this @Taylor

Like Dimitri Alexeev likes this
Richard Powell February 24, 2020

Adding my +1 for having external links working in the new view. 

We also have lots of existing issues with links to an internal tool. The new view is not usable until they are visible.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2017

Hi Andrew,

This is not yet supported in the new view but we do plan to include this feature early next year.

You will need to click through to the full view for the time being to see Confluence links.

If the new behavior doesn't meet your needs at this time, you can switch it off in your profile.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 9.05.02 AM.png 

Regards,

Shannon

Andrew Waegel December 21, 2017

Thanks Shannon!

Neil Chudleigh August 13, 2018

@Shannon S Any update on this feature?  Kind of sucks that there is no real benefit to using Confluence over any other document product if this feature doesn't work.  

Like Juan Manuel Garrido likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2018

Hi Neil and Andres,

Thanks for reaching out about the new Jira issue view.

Redesigning the issue view is a big project and this feature is sadly not available yet. We don't yet have a timeframe for when we'll add it yet, but you can watch our documentation page, which we update when we add new features and functionality.

Until we make this functionality available, you can access it by clicking through to the old issue view as mentioned previously.

You can still accomplish this by clicking the issue key in the top-left of the issue to get there (in some cases, you may need to click "See the old view" when you reach the full-page view). If you use this functionality a lot, you can also opt out of the new issue view for now by going to your avatar > Personal settings and turning off the New Jira issue view switch under Labs.

You can track the bug below at this time (reported after the writing of the original post):

Regards,

Shannon

Sylvain Gautier October 25, 2018

I have No more access to the Jira issue view (and it is still checked on my profile 😫

6 votes
Kelvin A Hill September 4, 2018

I'm afraid this reflects badly on Atlassian. How on earth did the developers come up with an "improved experience" that removes key functionality? Not only are the links to explicitly related Confluence pages missing AND Confluence pages in which the JIRA is mentioned, but the "share this issue" link is also missing (which has been raised as a separate problem).

Either the developers reviewed the existing fields and decided some could be ditched without consulting the customer base or the developers didn't bother to check that all the fields from the old view were included in the new view. Whichever way you look at it, it reflects badly on Atlassian.

Zeke Zicherman December 18, 2018

This has  significant impact on the usefulness of the two systems (Confluence and Jira) in our day to day management of work.  Confluence documents our what, Jira documents our when... and now we need to take outside measures to work around an evolution of the tool set that we were not asked to participate in to ensure that our business needs were being met.  It is now one full year since the issue was originally raised.  What does that say?

I hope that you decide to prioritize this higher in your backlog.

3 votes
Andres Santamaria August 1, 2018

Still not fixed? It's the 2nd half of 2018 and we still can't view Confluence links from JIRA issues in the new view.

2 votes
philosurfer September 12, 2018

+ this.   Kind of sucks not having a confluence link in the ticket.

Back to the old way of just pasting the URI in the comments :D

2 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

I'm fine with rolling out the new view as a labs/beta feature and starting with limited functionality.  But between this and the custom fields placement it would have been better to default the view to off or make a stronger "not ready for prime time" statement.  I have users asking me multiple times a week where the links have gone, or even where custom fields have gone that are just way down under "Show more".  No amount of internal outreach seems to be quashing the hubbub about it.

robwest September 17, 2018

This. My users are struggling as it is to adopt Confluence, and creating a barrier to entry in Jira isn't helping. My primary "value statement" for adding Yet Another Tool (Confluence) was the friction reducing that Jira + Confluence together does in cross-linking.

1 vote
Juan Manuel Garrido February 18, 2019

Any update on this feature?

0 votes
Taylor
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2019

Hi everyone, I really appreciate your feedback here and your patience as we build this. We are extremely close to launching the view confluence pages capability, with the ability to search/add within a Jira issue coming after that.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69225 in the comments. Or watch the issue to get updated once we ship it.

Jody Furlong September 20, 2019

External or Web Links are STILL not visible in the new view - the problem with this is if some of my thousand users have the new view on and some have the old view - people in the new view are missing external links and have no idea. 2019 is almost over - when are you going to fix this? Worst case of non-parity I've witnessed so far.

Like # people like this
B T!g4e December 6, 2019

Any update on external or web links? 

Like # people like this
Dimitri Alexeev January 30, 2020

@Taylor, you recommended to "watch the issue to get updated once we ship it". The issue JRACLOUD-69225 is in the status "Closed" with resolution "Fixed". But the problem is still present. Would you please re-open the issue?

Like Terence Lonsdale likes this

Suggest an answer