Confluence activity stream

nick_dallmann October 24, 2017

I have a fresh new installed instance of Jira and Confluence behind a nginx reverse proxy and I currently got stuck with an issue concerning the activity stream for Confluence on the Jira Dashboard (Default System Dashboard, but the issue persists even if I create a new Dashboard).

My issue is quite simple: Somehow URLs (currently only seen with attachments like images or photos) are written with a double slash (like this: https://www.example.com/confluence//download/attachments/00000/Harvey-persona?version=1&modificationDate=1508845833000&api=v2) and Confluence is returning a 500 server error. The error message shows up with a NullPointerException. Anyway, if I remove the doubled slash ( // -> / ) everything works as excepted. But I have no idea where to set this URL.

I already have checked the base URL of Jira and Confluence and there is no tailing slash at all.

Here is a screenshot of the chrome developer console:

Unbenannt1.png

The error message if I open one of those broken links is the following:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.download.AttachmentDownload.getStreamForDownload(AttachmentDownload.java:105)

Does anyone have the same problem or have any idea how to fix it?

1 answer

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2017

Lets see what you have in your nginx configuration.

Seems like proxy settings.

There's also a little bit of documentation on that here.

nick_dallmann October 25, 2017

The second link did the trick for me, thanks!

nick_dallmann October 25, 2017

Unfortunately, it didn't. There was a caching problem which causes the images to load after a temporary change in the source.

Here is my nginx configuration but even if I include one of those snippets the URLs in the activity stream doesn't change. Also I am facing another weird issue: If I upload a new image to Confluence to force the listing in the activity feed, the double slashes are still there. But if I remove them (only in new uploaded images and only with the following configuration) the server loops while redirecting and I get a "ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" error. If I remove the added snippet from your linked website, I can access the images with the URL without the double slashes.

server {

listen 443 ssl;
server_name www.example.com;

ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem;

ssl on;
ssl_session_cache builtin:1000 shared:SSL:10m;
ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
ssl_ciphers HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!CAMELLIA:!DES:!MD5:!PSK:!RC4;
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

client_max_body_size 100m;

access_log /var/log/nginx/example.com.log;

location /jira {

proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;

proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;
proxy_read_timeout 90;

}

location /confluence {

proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;

proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";

proxy_pass http://localhost:8090;
proxy_read_timeout 90;

set $clean_uri $uri$is_args$args;
if ( $clean_uri != $request_uri ) {
 rewrite ^/(.*) $scheme://$host/$1 permanent;
}

}
}

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2017

Hi Dominic, lets take this back to the basics from the Atlassian guide.   I'm actually working on a test environment that I hope to have up in the next week or so that will use a similar setup.

John November 5, 2019

This is an issue for me too - though we are not using a proxy...

Suggest an answer