Confluence / JIRA and CDN (Cloudflare)

Martin November 28, 2013

I was wondering if anyone tried to use a simple CDN such as Cloudflare to run Confluence/JIRA (not OnDemand of course)

3 answers

2 votes
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

I did a write up (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/CDN-CloudFront-and-Atlassian-Server-apps/m-p/731230#M2361) on boosting performance using AWS cloudfront. The underlying principles should be the same in terms of cache/bypass rules but the implantation in CloudFlare or other CDNs would differ. Hope it’s at least a useful starting point. 

CCM 

1 vote
Duncan May 16, 2014

Hi Martin,

I got to your question, by having the same question!
I've set up Cloudflare on my Jira setup and it seems to be working.

One thing I have noticed though, is when later adding on Confluence by linking to Jira you have to disable Cloudflare CDN on the link, otherwise it keeps telling you that it could not access the application (Jira) in setup.

After setting it up, I re-enabled Cloudflare CDN, and it seems to be working just fine :)

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2014

Hi Duncan

We're currently running JIRA in Amazon's North Virginia data centre and need to improve access to it for users in China. Is this something that Cloudflare can help with? Do you end up running multiple servers or does Cloudflare perform some caching? If the latter, how well does that work in practice when some of the data returned from JIRA is security-trimmed for the current user?

Any pointers, extra info, etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Philip

philip dot colmer at linaro dot org

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2014

Duncan

Did you have to set up any page rules in order to prevent certain content from being cached? We're finding that searching for issues results in a JS error. I've temporarily added a rule that causes the cache to be bypassed for all content but I'm hoping I can restrict it to a subset of everything!

Thanks.

Philip

Grzegorz Dubicki October 19, 2014

Hi Philip, Hi Duncan, How are your CloudFlare and JIRA integrations doing? Have you tweaked the configuration somehow? What Performance profile in CloudFlare do you use? Best regards, Grzegorz Dubicki

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2014

We've had a lot of trouble getting JIRA to work with CloudFlare, unfortunately. Some JIRA pages (e.g. issue searching) don't seem to be working properly and I've been struggling to find a CloudFlare cache setting or page rules that solves the problem. Regards Philip

MP November 5, 2015

Hello there. anyway you can share with me how you got the cloudflare working with Jira? thanks a bunch!

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2015

We gave up trying to get CloudFlare working with JIRA. Even with the help of Atlassian Support, I couldn't get issue searching to work with CloudFlare in place. We've now switched to using Aryaka as the front-end and that has worked flawlessly.

0 votes
Victor Zele October 4, 2016

I fixed the above issue by whitelisting our JIRA server IP on Cloudflare and the applinks registered right a way for both Confluence and Crucible.

ankush174 March 27, 2017

Hi Victor,

Can you share your configuration for setting up CDN for JIRA & Confluence that is which files & folders of JIRA & Confluence I need to put on CDN

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover

Suggest an answer