Configuring one field configuration overwrites settings in all the others! Suggestions?

Howell NeSmith September 26, 2014

Hi,

I'm creating a template for projects from scratch, including workflows, issue type field schemes and issue type screen schemes, plus permissions and notifications. Everything's going pretty well except....I've created multiple field configuration schemes. Each is to be used for a different issue type (in some cases, multiple issue types). But when I configure the Screens for a field in a configuration, the new settings are carried over to ALL of the other field configurations, overwriting the unique settings needed for the other issue types. Has anyone seen this before? What's going wrong?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Howell NeSmith September 29, 2014

Hey, thanks for taking a look! I think the confusing wording was a sign that Friday afternoon had arrived. Maybe my issue is the same kinda thing.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I navigate to Administration > Issues > Field Configurations
  2. I select a Field Configuration (let's call it "FCA") to work on by clicking "Configure"
  3. I make the desired changes to field behavior within FCA. This includes using the "Screens" option listed under Operations to select the screens on which each field would appear.

That's probably where the confusion came from. To continue:

1. Having finished my changes for FCA, I again click on Field Configurations in the left-hand navigation area.
  2. I re-open FCA, and everything looks great.
  3. I go back and open another Field Configuration (let's call it "FCB"), and find that the settings I had previously, painstakingly put in place had been overwritten by my most recent work in FCA!
  4. I go back with elevated blood pressure and check all of my other existing Field Configurations (and even the Default Field Configuration) and find that they're all exactly the same as FCA!

Hope this bit of detail helps clear things up.

Thanks,

Howell

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2014

Hitting return too quickly? ;-)

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2014

I also need clarity that Nic is requesting.   Are you creating new fields for each field configuration scheme?   If you are sharing the same field, then all field schemes with that field will be updated.  Can you state which fields or field types you are trying to customize?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2014

I'm a bit confused - your question is mostly about field configurations, but you start talking about screens in the middle.  Screens and field configs are (effectively) totally separate things, and amending a screen has no effect on field configs at any time.  Could you explain exactly what you are changing that seems to be causing the problem?

Suggest an answer