Configuring a JIRA screen

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

I have added a custom field but can not seem to get it to show up on the issue screen. I checked the configuration and it says I should see my field on the current screen, but I do not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2013

Which screen are you looking at? If it's view, then the field needs to have data before Jira will display it (even if the field help er says it should appear, it needs data). Could you try a full edit on the issue and see if you are able to see it and fill it in?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Dang nabbit, I always forget about that part lol :D

1 vote
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Is the field globally available, or do you have it confined to particular projects and/or issue types? If it is, you'll need to make sure you have it associated with one(s) you want. :)

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Wow, Time Tracking is what it was. Would never have guessed that. Thank You very much. Good call on that.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

I actually got confused by this frequently, so I keep post-it notes on my comp screen that list what adding these two fields to a screen actually provide-

Log Work - adds Time Spent, Date Started, and Remaining Estimate

Time Tracking - adds Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate

:)

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Interesting, I do not think it is a toolbox cf, how can I tell that for sure? I am wondering if the field was deleted from the original configuration and then me adding it back in has done something odd.

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Thanks for all the help Nic, It must be the toolbox version. Is there a reason why the system one was not showing up? I want to use the default system Original Estimate, but did not see it as something I could add. Should I delete the one I have added (from the toolbox) and add it from the system? Thanks again for all the help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2013

The system one should be appearing if you've added "time tracking" to the screen. And you've got time-tracking enabled. And (possibly) work log.

I suspect we need to go digging through your fields.

As a "clutching at straws" thing, could you have a look for "time tracking" and "original estimate" in the field configuration for the project/issue-type as well? Just make sure they aren't hidden (although the "where's my field" thing really should have spotted that)

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Original Estimate is the type. And it is on the default screen.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Is it a toolbox cf? I think this issue has been around...see first comment of this question

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25677/adding-a-custom-field-for-dev-and-qa-time-estimates

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2013

Ok, the Original Estimate is a built-in field (Although the toolbox adds extra things with funny names). To establish this, go to Admin -> Custom fields for the full list and look for "original estimate" in there. If you do NOT find it, it's the system one. If you do, then it's the toolbox one.

After that, if it is the system one, then it could be more complex. Check:

• Funny names - this field displays different names according to where it is - original estimate and time tracking are actually the same thing!
  • You have time-tracking enabled in general configuration, and you've set your days per week to more than 0 (most places will set it to 5 or 7, but I've seen one place set it to 0, and that disabled time tracking. No idea why they did it!)
  • Make sure your user has "work on issues" permission in the project. This should not be affecting it, but I want to cover everything.

I'm not at all sure about the toolbox field though - that should, from what I remember, behave like any other custom field in terms of visibility.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Thanks both for the reply. It is globally available and I tried to edit it to see if I could see it there and still no luck.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2013

Ok what *type* of field is it?

Can you confirm which screen and tab you have it on?

And then we could use a look at your "issue type screen scheme"

Suggest an answer