Configuring Out-going email notifications

Steven Jones March 11, 2013

Trying to set up JIRA notifications so when issues are assigned, the assignees get notified. In looking at the help manual it says:

Choose the cog icon at top right of the screen, then choose JIRA Admin. Then choose System > Mail > Outgoing Mail to open the 'SMTP Mail Server' page

When I follow these instructions, the only links I see are:

I am in the Admin group, so I wonder where do I set up my outgoing email definitions?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2013

Steven, you're running OnDemand.. you're not going to see the Outgoing Mail page, I forgot about that. I can also see that your instance is productmanager.atlassian.net, as per the links you mentioned above.

It seems that the Outgoing Mail feature was disabled in your instance.. so I took the liberty to enable it. Please give it another try and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

That worked! Thanks a bunch Bruno.

0 votes
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2013

Steven, as per your description, I believe that what you're looking for is how to configure the notifications in projects (and its issues) based on events that are triggered by users, right? If that so, you're looking for the Notification Scheme. :)

Cheers.

Bruno,

I did check that first off; Notification Schemes. They are set up appropriately to supposedly send alerts to assignees. Problem is, configuring the outgoing (SMTP) email definitions. I found incoming fine, as well as send email (a system notification email), but not the automatically email a registered user with appropriate permissions, an email notifing them of something to do.

Cheers,

Steve

Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2013

Steven, if you're running JIRA OnDemand you should not change/edit any setting inside the Outgoing Mail Server that is already configured, probably this is not a problem with the mail server. Can you confirm that the Outgoing Mail Server is enabled in your instance? I mean, inside the Outgoing Mail page you'll see if it's enabled or disabled. If disabled, please enable it. :)

Cheers.

Suggest an answer